QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

brake lights not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicky123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:16    Post subject: brake lights not working Reply with quote

just had a new alternator fitted cos the other one was putting double voltage through the car now my brake lights aren't working and when i hitch my horse trailer up the brake lights on the trailer don't work either changed all the blubs its a 3.1td 92k trooper bighorn lotus edition can anyone help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

yangreen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess that only leaves the brake switch itself? This is usually fixed near the brake pedal but I'm a newcomer and don't know exactly!

Or could even be a fuse? Someone on here must know the electrics better than me!
jon willy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vicky ......... You need to check first that when the brake pedal is depressed that you have a supply to the brake lights on the car... that would eliminate the supply to the brake switch and the switch its-self .... after that a check on were the trailer socket cable has been connected to the cars wiring to ensure nothing has pulled apart ......... a possibility could also be some trailer sockets are fitted with a set of contacts that disconnect the cars stop lights when the trailer plug is entered, so it could be a simple break in that circuit, what I have seen happen is water entering the back of the socket and the wires corroding at the connection.......... really its down to elimination.

Hope This Helps......... Regards Jon.
Peterjday

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

At double voltage its worth checking that the bulbs haven't simply blown. Try fitting new ones before checking the brake light switch. That will also be an easy way of checking John's suggestion:
New bulbs - no lights - switch needs investigating.
New bulbs - Idea - go on way rejoicing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: