Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Upgrading headlights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flashman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 21:17    Post subject: Upgrading headlights Reply with quote

OK a question for those who have had their troopers a while. Has anyone uprated their headlights to give a lot more light on dip beam. Idea The standard fit are a bit dim for country use. i was told NOT to use Krypton bulbs because they draw too much power and end up 'frying' the wiring loom. The only sensible suggestion was to fit Cibie headlamp units but these need to be 'modified' to fit and work out expensive. Question
Anyone successfully tried this and the car lived to shed some light on the matter Embarassed
Thanks

I'll snap it if I can
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 21:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Pete E

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Krypon bulbs 55W same as the standards; if so I don't see how they could cause a problem as they would be still drwing the same current.

If they are the 100W versions, would'nt the fuses blow and provide protection before the wiring starts burning????

Otherwise fit a set of driving lights and wire them to an seperate switch..

Regards,

Pete
flashman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete
I am told that the Krypton bulbs are 65/55w but that they have some unique design feature that gives out three times the amount of light compared to a stand bulb. However the draw back is it uses more current and therfore gets a lot hotter. I am not an expert in this field so can only comment on what I have been told by two separate garages. Japanese wiring is thinner than European standards and therfore gets hotter quicker. Under extreme conditions it can in enclosed areas (ie looms) cause the insulation to catch fire. My local dealer had actually had a Trooper recovered into them with this fault. The other was a Nissan with a similar problem.
As I said I am no expert but would welcome anyone who is to add their comments please. Driving lamps are an option which are being considered.

I'll snap it if I can
SteveP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no bulb expert, but the wattage of a device is simply the number of amps multiplied by the number of volts. So, for a 55/65W bulb, at 12 volts, the current draw will be about 4.5 to 5.5 amps. That's pretty much it, the bulb can do what it likes with those amps (so there could be variation in brightness/heat between bulbs), but if it is rated at that wattage it won't draw any more current than that (according to my O level electronics/A level physics knowledge).

If the bulb was 100W, though, it's a different matter, since the current draw would be over 8 amps, which is nearly double the 55W bulb (as one would expect) - that could introduce heat into the cabling if it's not designed to take those loads.

So basically, if you are getting some sort of uprated bulbs, Xenon/Krypton or whatever, just check what the actual rating is, they might have an equivalence figure so say they are 65W but equivalent to 100W bulbs, but I think that's ok, because the 100W is just comparing the brightness.

I'm not necessarily advocating these in particular, but I think this sort of bulb would be what you are after... http://cgi.eebuygum.com/eebuygum/ws/eebuygum.dll?ViewItem&category=33709&item=2442470499.

Cheers,

Steve.
Pete E

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Steve is correct here; all 55W bulbs will draw the same amount of current due to the laws of Physics he has already stated. However, I have seen 100W replacement bulbs available in Halfords and those will definately draw twice the current and I suspect this is where the problems are.

All 12V 55W bulbs are not created equal. The bulb from most head lights gives a fairly yellowish light. I use a lamp for controling foxes at night and that has a 12v 55W Xeon bulb and that is noticeable brighter/whiter than a standard headlamp bulb. After doing some digging I found it was the same type of bulb as used on an overhead projector...unforetuanely they are a slightly different fitting than an a headight bulb and I suspect they are not as robust either otherwise i would have been temped to use them!
Regards,

Pete
davedgreat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sum osrams slightly higher wattage and they have improved things, also check your height levels, mine where set way too low, raised them a bit and thats improved the dip beam better than anything, no one flashing me, so i think there ok, I used my garage wall with chalk marks to set them up.
The guys are correct when stating current draw. 55W = 4.6A@12Vdc
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Ring 50% brighter bulbs in my MK 1's truly p*ss poor headlamps and they made a marked improvement, weren't too pricey and came from my local spares place. They draw exactly the same current. Another upgrade is to use the original headlamp wiring to trigger a pair of relays drawing current from the battery via some hefty cable thus removing a lot of the voltage drop you may get from the standard loom. This may well also give you brighter lights. It will also allow you to run higher wattage bulbs but be aware that anything over standard will be illegal for road use and may also damage the lenses if the later troopers have plastic ones (they get much hotter and put out more UV)

I put up with the poor dip beams at the moment and have a set of 100W spots on the front for main beam use.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Geoff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Philps comments.

Ring bulbs in mine too..... noticibly better.

Also just finished installing my ring spots, (probably add a thread about this as I made my own mounts)..... makes a huuuuuuge difference out in the country.
mrwookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

philip, when you say spots ,are they factory fits? on my 95 bighorn i have lamps on the standard?? bull bars ,always thought they were foggers until mrs told me that they work on the main beam switch.
Grandad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr wookie if your spots are original the jap lighting laws are different to ours they could be spots or fogs and still light on main beam i have fogs inthe front bumper original fitment they come on with dip or mainbeam same if they extras fitted in japan
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the 100w type bulbs it will melt the plug and wiring seen it a fair bit on troopers where the owner has been trying to get better lights
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are not factory fit, they're a pair of big old ring ones that originally lived on our old Suzuki SJ many years ago.

mrwookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing about my heads is that they do a good job of lighting up the sky Exclamation Exclamation Is there a setting do-da anywhere Question If not I have been told that jap lights throw a different pattern from uk spec-would fitting uk spec lens covers rectify this niggle Question
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrwookie wrote:
Another thing about my heads is that they do a good job of lighting up the sky Exclamation Exclamation Is there a setting do-da anywhere Question If not I have been told that jap lights throw a different pattern from uk spec-would fitting uk spec lens covers rectify this niggle Question

Different pattern possibly but the original Japanese headlamp lens is fine here in the UK. How did it get through the MOT with main beams up there?

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the later ones have adjustable from the cab type headlights? If so there should be a thre or four position switch somewhere on the dash to adjust them. This is supposed to be used to compensate for having a heavy load in the back or a trailer hitched up. If not I'd take it to an MoT place and get them to adjust it on their machine so it's set up properly, one of my pet hates is badly adjusted headlights coming towards me at night!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: