2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1 Td EGR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jo Sharp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 14:36    Post subject: 3.1 Td EGR Reply with quote

My 96 3.1 Td has an intermittent problem. It loses power and produces lots of smoke (unburned fuel?) above around 3000rpm. After a while it goes back to normal running.

The local dealer said it was probably a problem with the exhaust gas regulator valve and that I should clean the pressure sensors on the inlet manifold if it happens again.

On here I have read that it could be an injector timing issue (or are the two related as the EGR affects the timing?).

Grateful for any wise advice on how to prevent this happening.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 14:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

chedge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got the same problem and i am in the process of disconnecting it completely. apparently its a common problem on pajero's and blanking one sorts it for good, im just trying to find out which hose.

When ive done it i will let tou know how i got on.

Chris
Jo Sharp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Thanks - good luck!

I've since discovered that using the cold start switch also brings on the problem. I've just got hold of some Trooper technical manuals on CD so I'll look through them to see if there is any helpful info; I'll let you know what I find.

Jo
SFarrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the sort of problems on my 93 3.1 except I have one valve stuck fully open and one stuck shut! I'm still waiting on a price form isuzu but my nearest vauxhall dealer says £225 inc VAT each.

I'm currently putting my trooper back together and am hoping (maybe foolisly) that the 50/50 arrangement i have with these regulators might not affect things too much.
pikeyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

I have blanked off the two EGR valves and have noticed a big improvement in my trooper. Minimal smoke on start up and the engine heater works fine no with no drop in power and without large amounts of smoke being produced. It also seems to pull a little better too.

I blanked off the EGR valves on my trooper after visiting the Pajero forum following a mention here it was a common pajero/shogun problem. There's loads of info on there. Basically though it goes like this, try cleaning the valaves by soaking in carb cleaner, this may work if they are just gummed up. If cleaning doesnt work a blanking plate will be required, i knooked mine up out of some sheet steel using the gasket as a template. It has been mentioned that just blanking off the vaccum pipes will also disable the EGR valves. this approach will work but only if both of your valves have siezed in the closed position a blanking plate is the better soloution.

why not give it a try!
Pikey boy
chedge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive now sorted my problem by blanking the pipe from the exhaust to the inlet manifold off at the inlet manifold. goes like a dream now.

Thanks
Chris
Jo Sharp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

Any chance of a link to this Pajero forum please?

And a diagram showing which pipes to blank??

Jo
Richard D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have blanked both vacuum hoses on mine,(95 3.1 bighorn) this is a common almost mandatory modification to do to a toyota hi-lux surf (had one) as it improves fuel consumption (diesel engines run best on cold air and not re-cycled warm) reduced smoke emissions and increases power. Wink
pikeyboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocuk.com

The above url will take you to the pajero owners web site that has loads of info on EGR valve blanking. Just search for 'EGR valve', there are some good pictrues and explanations if you are prepared to trawl through the hundreds of posts on this subject.
chedge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take some pics and put them up on this forum for everyone to take a look at.

Cheers Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: