4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Strange discharging issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43    Post subject: Strange discharging issue Reply with quote

I have an old and slightly beat-up caravan, but even though she is in a bit of a state, she is water tight (thanks Mr. Gaffa around the front window) and everything works a treat ... apart from holding charge in the battery. You can charge it up fine no problems, but if you plug it into the mains the battery will discharge within a day or so (usually less). Now I have a friend who also has he same issue with his, and we cannot seem to find a solution to the problem. All the accesories (sockets, fridge, lights, stereo) seem to be fine and work as they should, but plugging into the mains should charge the battery should it not as opposed to draining it completely.

Any thoughts?

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I get this right.
When you plug in it will only charge the battery when your usage is lower than the rated value of the charger, if its higher then it will pull power from the battery to supliment the supply.
So, a faulty charger can drain the battery rather than charge it when its plugged in because its using the battery to power the van rather than powering the van itself.
My brain hurts now  Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running everything on 12 volts the charger needs to be supplying more than you are using on all your accessories.
I note you said 'fridge.    On 12 volts  it will use 75 watts.  That's 6.5 amps.
Could be where the battery is going.
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errm ... sorry if being vague. If I have a fully charged battery in the caravan (no vehicles involved what-so-ever) and I plug it into the mains, switch the fridge over to 240v (off the mains) and just use the sockets (no 12v appliances) the battery will just discharge on its own accord in a day or so. If I un-plug the mains and just leave the van idle (nothing switched on) the battery will discharge again but no where near as fast.

Is there a circuit diagram of ccaravan electrics anywahere so I can get out there with a multimeter and possibly try to find a short or drain on the 12 volt system somewhere. I have a few electricle gubbins under the front seats, but damned if I know what they do lol.

Deceased

The Laird

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like you have a battery charging system in the van that may be faulty?
I have never come across a circuit for a caravan. Most owners add things, not necessarily properly.  Very Happy
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thought ... though where on earth it is in the van I don't know. Will pop out in a while and have a butchers at the stuff inside and see if I can trace the wiring around from the battery.

Deceased

markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a Zig unit the distributes the power
http://www.zig-electronics.co.uk/products_cp400.htm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those exact Zig units as well. Thats going to be looked at later. However under one of the front seats I found this:

Needless to say I have pulled it apart and got rid of all those blasted scotch-locs and soldered the wires together. It seems this is all for the 12volt system.
One set of wires is the 12N loom that has been tapped into for an earth which is in turn branched off to the chassis, the 12S loom, the leisure battery, and off to the Zig unit.
Another is the 12S loom which seems to have nothing connected to it apart from an Earth
Another is two wires that go from the Leisure battery to the fridge.
Finally the leisure battery positive has been tapped into for the fridge (as said before) and the Zig unit.

Next I will be looking at the Zig unit and see what little gems I will find there ... more scotch-locs I reckon Sad

Deceased

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the people who throw these things together dont value human life, I just looked at mine  Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the manufacturers know what they are doing.
Trouble is they sell them to the car owner who may be able to do a bit of elctricks with 12 volts without
killing himself.  But caravans also have 240 volt systems, and that needs a little more care especialy as it is in
a 'mobile' situation with dubious earthing. Exposed to the elements, damp, vibration, conductive walls, A recipe for disaster! Very Happy
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I am concentrating on the 12v system. Making sure it is earthed properly (which it wasn't, but now is) and all the connections are solid and not shorting, covering the bare wires etc etc. I will be getting a mate of mine to look at the 240v system who is a qualified electrician (I am not that brave Very Happy )

Deceased

scj103
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on?
I've done more caravan rewirings than i care to remember, and have plenty of stuff around - cables, trips, clips etc and all the 7 pin wiring etc.

If you still struggle let me know - am happy to pop up to norwich and spend a bit of time on it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: