All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Performance tuning for 3.0DT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 20:00    Post subject: Performance tuning for 3.0DT Reply with quote

Have just been to the Land Rover show at Billing (but am not that way inclined Embarassed just went with a mate).

We visited the Dastek tuning stand and my mate decided to have a Powerchip fitted to his TD5 Disco there and then. The chip uses manufactures OE plugs and is a striaght in-line plug job, no other connections and nothing you can't undo in 5 seconds.

The unit claims to add 40 BHP to the Disco, adjusts fueling and injection timing, and made a instantly noticeble improvement.

Check it out at www.dastek.co.uk

Have been looking at the other manufactures versions for sometime and this seems the best option to me - especially as you can remove it so easily for service or when you sell.

The downside is they don't do a 3.0 Trooper version yet - the guy reckons they need 50 enquiries before they will make one.

So, even if you don't want one please e-mail and ask if they do one for the 3.0DT. That way we will have another option to choose from Twisted Evil All I need to do now is to squirrell the money away somewhere the wife won't miss it Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 20:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is performance tuning an engine with all the reliability issues the 3.0 turbo diesel has really a good idea? I'd have thought any extra strain including particulalrly changing the fuel map would be likely to have a negative impact on longevity.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
andrewk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
Is performance tuning an engine with all the reliability issues the 3.0 turbo diesel has really a good idea? I'd have thought any extra strain including particulalrly changing the fuel map would be likely to have a negative impact on longevity.

Isn't it the case that there are a couple of well known problems (injector seals, oil strainer, turbo) with the 4JX1 engine that should be remedied under the importers warranty - and that if they are, the engine is at least as reliable as any other?

Have you any reason to suppose that the Isuzu 4JX1 engine is less reliable than the notoriously unreliable Land Rover engines, whether the fixes are done or not?

To put this in context, try a search on Google using the keywords "engine" and "failure" and, in turn, each of 4jx1, 200tdi, 300tdi and td5. The number of pages returned are: 36, 7680, 7820 and 5420 respectively. Interesting, isn't it?

Cheers
Andrew Kay
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you have to put the number of Land rover products sold against the number of troopers sold and view it as a percentage. It also depends on the nature and cause of the engine failure.

There are I think people on here that have had some of the recall changes made and still had engine failures. That said it's everyones choice as to what they do. Personally I'd not take the risk of tuning an engine that has a poor reputation for reliability as any tuning inherently puts more strain on an engine, hence the fairly conservative state of tune most manufacturers ship their engines in as they want them to last at least until the warranty runs out.

I'm not against engine tuning per se, I have some plans at the back of my mind to fit a front mounted intercooler and have the fuel pump optimised on my 2.8 Trooper and also am tuning the V8 in my Chevy in stages. I think most of the 3 litre owners are happy if theirs keeps running as standard!

Bosun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get one of the "Tunit" modules from Bromley's fitted, which I assume is similar, and they wanted to slice into the ECU harness under the rocker cover. Naturally I said no and took it no further. I got the impression that you cannot just plug into the 3.0L harness. Hope this is of use?
Bosun
andrewk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
I guess you have to put the number of Land rover products sold against the number of troopers sold and view it as a percentage.

Isuzu is the biggest manufacturer of diesel engined trucks in the world. Land Rover by comparison is very small.

Quote:
I think most of the 3 litre owners are happy if theirs keeps running as standard!

So they should be!! The performance of a 4JX1 engined Trooper is great.

Cheers
Andrew
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isuzu may be the largest manufacturer of diesel engined trucks but we are talking about specific engines here. I'm not saying it's all Isuzu's by any means we all know the 2.8 lasts for hundreds of thousands of miles.

All manufacturers every now and then drop a b0llock and produce a flawed design, tuning such an engine may be fine if all the mods have been done, but then aain it may not, I wouldn't want to be the first one to try it and see my engine explode in front of me!

Paul.K

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, did you know that the engine now fitted in the Rodeo is a 3ltr version of the the 2.8ltr plus they fitted an intercooler. We had one turn up at one of our events. I heard it before I saw it, you know how distinctive a 2.8td sounds, looked around expecting to see a Mk1 and there it was a 4 month old Rodeo pick up with a double cab. Too much rear overhang to be a serious off roader but he still had a good time. Now I would think that will be a fine engine. 135bhp I think he said. Only thing wrong with a 2.8td is that it sweats a bit when dragging a bit of weight. So a 2.8td with all that power well I think I might be in 7th heaven.
Cheers
CRK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

LR Discovery with the Dastek conversion is definitely quite improved, noticeably better torque through the gears, less changing down on the hills, and MPG a couple of points better.

Unfortunately the company have confirmed they don't yet do one for the 4JX1 3.0, but may bring it out later.

Ref blowing up the engine - have had the cylinder head replaced on mine under warranty about 2 years ago now . No further problems since then , and hopefully is well sorted. Willing to risk it as I won't be revving the nuts out of the engine, just making the most of improved torque through the range.

Many Land Rover dealers now fit Superchips conversions from new so they must be quite confident - or else that explains the number of engine failures for the TD5!!
Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Rodeo motor (well, not so new they're been out for ages, here) based on the old 2.8 is looking pretty old hat at 96kW. 2.7 to 3.0l turbodiesels are putting out between 120 1nd 160kW these days. Isuzu probably stuck with an old pushrod design so it could be made in Thailand and serviced in third world countries.

As for 4JX1 chips a company in Australia was listing them for the Jackaroo (Au-model BigHorn). No reason it wouldn't work on a UK-spec vehile, and would probably work on my Wizard (except that I have an air-water intercooler to fit and that's hundreds of $$$ cheaper than a chip:)) (the Wizard, like the MU it's derived from, isn't i/c stock).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: