QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Isuzu Duty Trooper wont start

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
global16

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 17:56    Post subject: Isuzu Duty Trooper wont start Reply with quote

Hi to all.First of all im an American car mechanic and dont know a lot about these Isuzu vehicles.Customer has brought along a Treg Isuzu duty Trooper 3.0 dohc.It wont start.It fires with some easy start,but wont without it.I have done all the things you guys have spoken about.Ie topped up with 2 litres of oil,cut the white wire etc,checked brake lights.I dont know what else to do(except burn it) It seems a shame really its in very good condition.Is there anything else i can check to try and get it to start.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 17:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search under "Gribble" profile,view all posts and you'll find a link to the online manual....beware its a 65Mb download !
Section 6 4JX1 engine,Drivability and Emissions..Get the flash codes up on the OBD plug(all explained in that section)...see what comes out...Failing that Dealer only with Tech II diagnostics.....Dont use easy start  Shocked ..if it starts with it the only thing it proves is that there is summat wrong. Rolling Eyes  and it dont do this engine any good  Exclamation
global16

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that,i dont usually use easy start,an engine can get addicted to it i know.
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Robbo said and,
They need (from memory) 3 electrical signals to start, oil pressure, cam sensor and crank sensor.
other than that it could simply be a fueling problem, common problems are air getting in from either the filter housing or coroded fuel lines to the tank.
You could try bypassing the filter with a cheap inline filter and check for bubbles.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,i did think it might be a fuel problem.I undid the chrome nut thats on the side of the engine (front lefthand)and fuel comes out of there.I will bypass the fuel filter and see if that makes any difference.Im afraid these vehicles are alien to me.Give me a big gasoline V8 from the 60s any day!Or a 400ci V8 diesel.
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check you have at least 2 working glow plugs as well, some 3.0's wont fire up without them also check that the cam is timed to the crank pulley correctly and that the exhaust pipe is not squashed undeneath just in front of the cat .

Check you have 12v plus on each of the feeds to the 5 pin plug on the ECU and that the interior light is working on as tis fuse powers part of the immobiliser ecu .
global16

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me why they made such a complicated vehicle like this in the first place?I dont want to sound rude because there are a lot of dedicated owners on this site,but the 3.0 turbo diesel seems to be a nightmare of an engine.They have a complicated injection system,the whole thing seems to be fed and rely on oil,it seems nuts to me.Still as they say !It seemed to be a good idea at the time i guess.I have a brand new turbo to put on it as well,if i cant get it to start i will sell the turbo!
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Caterpillar Tractor Company had a hand in it  as the Cummings Engine co were into it allready and the HEUI system is now in world wide use to get the emissions down to targets as with a common rail diesel there are limits to the maximum pressure you can make and hold in the rail for injection but with a HEUI system the injection pressure is very high so clean burns are easy to get .

I do agree the engine was way ahead of its time and is not easy to  diagnose without a GM  Tech2 plug in computer but other than that its a normal dohc diesel just like a 769 dumptruck engine but smaller .  Smile

There is lots of tips,tricks and know how on here for the 3.0's  so try a bit more and come back to us -  it will be a thing thats been seen before thats stopping it going .
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly as Mr G says... thumbleft But as you say "400ci V8 diesel.".....Mmmmm Mmmmmm Idea
The Laird

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer the Detroit diesel. The sound is amazing!
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ! -  the two stroke with the supercharger or 'growler ' as plant men call it .
global16

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice.I dont usually give up on a problem so i will take everyones advice,allthough this is new to me.AAAHHH the Detroit diesel,what a motor,but useless on fuel,the GM 400ci diesel(which was a 350ci petrol derivitive)is a fantastic engine,i have seen them run out of oil,water you name it.Just fill em up again and they start right up with no problems.The yanks can get their emissions down ok.I have some old American cars which still have their emission control systems and cats on them and they sail through their mots with no problem.
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to check which can just pack up and cause a non starter  is the rail oil pressure control valve , have a look at my pics and post in Starting Issues to see what thats all about .
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you manage to get it running?
global16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,no it still wont start.Next stop the scrap yard i think. Its in very good condition seems a shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: