QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0 missfire and intermittent MIL light on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsb1486

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 20:07    Post subject: 3.0 missfire and intermittent MIL light on Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Im new to the forum. A friend of mine has a 3.0l trooper on a 1999 V reg import. Its has started missfiring and the down on power, the MIL comes on just under 2000 rpm and then sometimes will go off or sometimes stay on for 10 minutes or so.

I have attempted to connect my Snap-on Solus Pro to the car, but i am unable to connect/communicate on EOBD or OBD.

I have read through various threads on the forum relating to 3.0 missfire issues with most of them relating to injector issues and the recall. I was wondering if the recall was covered by the UK dealers on the import vehicles?

If its not covered i was going to carry out a injector leak off check if this is possible and if i do conclude that it needs injectors, i have heard that they are very difficult to fit due to the fact they are ceramic tipped and crack easily on installation, is this true? and do they need to have injector correction values programmed on installation?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 20:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wirdy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injector leak off test is impossible on this engine design.

Injectors are electro-hydraulic self contained units using engine oil at high pressure from a separate HP pump to fire the diesel through the nozzle into the cylinder.  They sit bathed in oil underneath the camshafts.

If the recall has not been done on the vehicle get it booked into a dealer asap as the 'goodwill' injector replacement program is ending very soon.  You will need to get any new injectors programmed with a Tech 2 tool.

Injectors aren't hard to fit as long as you follow the pdf manual on here.  It does involve taking the cam carrier and camshafts out. The main thing is to use new copper injector tip seals every time and to torque the injectors down exactly as it says in the manual (in two stages, with a loosening stage in between).
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to world of Isuzu 3.0's .

The Snap On Solus knows about as much about a  3.0 as a pig does about weeding onions so set it to one side  for now.

Ring IM on 0121 747 4000 and give the chassis number and they will tell if its due a freebie or not . I had an import 3.0 and it was covered.

You wont be able to do a leak off test as the injectors are pressurised by engine oil and not like high pressure common fuel rail and they can be fitted by a good tech  and they are all steel -  outside anyway .

I would first check you have 5/30 fully synth oil in then do the rops white wire test if the recall is not free, if that makes no difference come back for more tricks .
Wirdy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wirdy wrote:
 It does involve taking the cam carrier and camshafts out.

No it doesn't, ignore me. Embarassed   I was thinking head gasket change again.
gsb1486

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, what does the rops white wire test involve doing?
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find the multipin plug by the dipstick and remove the white/yellowish wire from the car side of the plug now run the engine and see if any improvement is had but dont drive the car like this - its just a test for that sensor.

You can do a flash code test with the OBD port by connecting pin 4 and pin er, I forget  Embarassed  but robbo will remember  Idea  This will flash the MIL light at you with ign on in sequence and from that the fault can be read off to a DTC  .
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 & 6...... Smile
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

so my bets on injector no.2 and a throttle body sensor

also they are not ceramic tipped and do not crack on installation but if torqued up wrong can leak diesel in to the engine oil which results in a knackered engine, and they do have to have their grade of injector programmed in once fitted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Recall notices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: