Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Warn 8274-50 0n a MK4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 14:33    Post subject: Warn 8274-50 0n a MK4 Reply with quote

Well its on and working so its just the field testing to do now  Smile  

It was a bit of an issue as to have it in close or out the front so on a mock up it looked very silly sat out front clear of the grille and not clever halfway .

Two more brackets going under the winch tray to the chassis rails to stiffen it up as well .

All comments welcome -  the main one being the cooling as its a bit of a block to the rad but so was the bumper -

To get at the freewheel clutch is the grille off (2 screws) but I am making that Q/R and it winches out out as fast as you can go so I dont think thats a problem ,well not yet anyway ! Anybody want a good clean 24v husky supawinch as thats now redundant ?

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 14:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm,see what you mean about the rad !...If you have cooling probs(which I suspect you might),how about an electric push fan(Peugot 205GTI style and size) with a vent towards the O/S behind the winch,would give more even airflow across the width of the rad  Idea
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good  Cool
Jimbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been given a Warn-8274 and would love to fit it to my Mk4.

How's your one going Gribble?
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works very well I can see why they are so popular for the winch challenge mob . nice and fast like 70 foot a min on no load rewind .

Out laning the other day and it pulls Kaz's 90 backward with 4 wheels  locked on dry sand easy - oh I was stuck  Embarassed

Given  an 8274  - yousa lucky man  Smile  

However there are some problems to get round in putting it on a mk4 -

My original bracket was made for a lowline type winch - see my pics in mods which allthough it was a higher line pull its drum  center was lower down than the warn  by nearly 3 inches so the warn tends to flex the isuzu bumper mounts , not much but the live terminals on the warn motor  can touch the bonnet catch under heavy pulling  as it leans forward.

I did mod the bracket to stop this which meant welding plates to the chassis and the winch mount  and it works fine now .

The other thing is the warn mounts 'feet first' so I used the normal 8274 bracket but to get it nice and snug and high I took off the Isuzu air con bracket  ( air con rad has to go ) and trimmed the rad mount plate back a bit .This was as I wanted a good approach angle on the truck .
Also the winch is offset - i.e. the middle of the winch is not the middle of the drum which you want to have on the chassis centerline really .
If I did this again I would make a different style of winch mounting and not use the warn style mount but bolt the 8274 to the frame directly so it sits lower with an extended bit for the fairlead.
Cooling was ok as I had some worrys of it blocking the airflow , my tech 2 showed an increase in temp from 82c to 86c on normal use

Do get a Glyn Lewis drum guard or make one if you mount close in to the rad . Stops cable damage to the rad if you bunch up when winching .

I am sure you could buy an ARB or D44 bumper  to get round this but wont be cheap . My target is to buy only what I cant make , not cos I am tight Robbo  Laughing

It depends where you want to put it and how much bumper you want to keep ,I will stick some more pics of the latest version up today for you .
Jimbob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks Gribble.  Really got my sights set on fitting this winch now.

Was given the winch by my Dad, so he's keeping it in the family.

Your advice and pics will be a great help and much appreciated.

Tried to post pics of my trooper, either I'm not doing it right or you have to reach a minimum amount of posts.

You have your own tech2! Sweet.
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My target is to buy only what I cant make , not cos I am tight Robbo..."

Wouldn't dream of casting any nasturchions......... Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go -

S'cuse poor  uphand weld - outa practice .

So what I did was to weld on 2 x 10 mm thick by 50 mm wide x 75 mm long strips to the front of the chassis rails and weld em there the drill and tap m12 through the new brackets on the winch mount and into the chassis to get a solid mount .

I also put a wider base down for the warn bracket as it needs to be bolted at the back to stop the flexing by the brace strips .

The smart looking tow eyes are a old bracket cut in half out the scrap bin !
DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good mate  Cool
I should get dates for next years courses soon so i'll give you a shout when i'm down that way  Wink  won't be in the truck but i'll come over for a social.
aduncan
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t need but I DO WANT a pro installtion of a Winch on mine.
You know, just in case...... Very Happy
Friff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any serious force on this? Did it hold up well?
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it took the full pull of the winch without bending  or flexing once the extra brackets were put on ,got used in anger at several events .

That's about 3 1/2 ton pull on the bottom layer .

If I did one again it would be a different way though from what I've learned with my other winches and probably would not use the Warn mounting bracket set up it limits what you can do ,the stuff from Glynn Lewis 4x4 is better suited for fabricating onto a Trooper.

I just made that one from what I'd seen and thought I wanted after a the lowline winch I had before.

You can buy or have made some smart looking winch bumpers from a place up your way,quite a few lads on here have them .

No crush tube used the side  bolts are threaded into the chassis on a Trooper but I tapped mine to M12 coarse as those metric fine bolts are a pain to find .

The main thing is have you got a high line or lowline winch and do you want the hidden in the bumper look or not ?

When you do mount the winch run a separate Earth cable to the battery for it,fried a bit of my loom by using the chassis to earth it.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at these pictures too .

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s201/gary820/pics/002-12.http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s201/gary820/pics/DSC00124.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zzgg3b.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/http://i42.tinypic.com/vfci1j.jpg
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied this mount (nodded to takes tube bumper)

I've had a buried disco on my end of it , and was dragging my own and Twister's troop .

So yes it holds up !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: