2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

cant find live for amp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:49    Post subject: cant find live for amp Reply with quote

hi all.
trying to put an amp in the car and cant find how to get the mains connection from amp to the battery, there is no way through the dashboard. Anyone got any ideas, done it before etc.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

steveb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rubber gator that all of the wiring loom goes through, that is where i,ve routed mine through! Make sure you use a heavy gauge wire, if your amp is 250 watt ,you want 500 watt rated wiring, otherwise it could burn out and catch fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, got that, thanks, what about ground, I tried the seat bolt which is what I used on another car, but it does not work, the amp wont powe ron and I cant find a clean ground.

Is it safe to ground on the underside of the car, it would not be visible but could get splashed with water?
steveb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I,ve grounded mine on the raer seatbelt bolt, make sure the wire is no longer than a foot long, less chance of picking up background noise!!
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I am having problems and could do with some help.

The amp is a Panasonic M200 - 2 x 100watts. it has a 20Amp and a 3Amp fuze on the back both are fine. The main power lead is seriousley thick wire, and is connected to a large fuse which then goes directly to the battery.

I have checked the amp and it can see just under 13 volts so batter is feeding it ok, and the remote is connected to the same location as the head unit and as the head unit works with ignition on I have to assume its also working on the amp, asside from that the remote, when ignition is on also shows just under 13 volts.

The ground wire is a problem. I tried the seatbelt locations and the actual seat bolt, but nothing, so I held the wire under the car itself making a clean connection to the chasis, but still nothing.

Can anyone offer me some guidance here, I know the grnd has to be on bare metal, and have tried this. When it touches a bolt, nut, screw or the chassis under the car it gives a brief spark so am sure its also working.

The amp is used, but the guy I got it from took good care of it, even gave me a sony cross over box with manual controls (not using yet as cant get amp working)

Please please please someone help me out here.

oh, and temp I repaired my front speaker cones using some pva glue which when it sets is elasticy, seems to have worked ok for the time being.
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it sorted, the ground was not the issue, was using wrong wires for ignition switch, lol, both amd and sony cross over working a treat.

Need to work on getting new front speakers now and new tweeters for doors.

Does anyone know what the power handling of the tweeters in the wing mirrors is?
steveb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused not a lot 10 watts i think!!!! if you go for a decent set of component speakers you,ll get a new set of tweeters anyway. Dont forget to bed them in or you will pop them straight away!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have purchased a set of 300 watt tweeters, and replaced the door speakers with 200 watt 2 way Kenwood ones, they are much better and wont pop as running of 40w atts head unit.

The tweeters have not arrived yet, but I wanted to mount these in the top above the passenger doors in the mid of the vehicle as currently there is no speakers in this location, and I think all they seem to get is alot of bass.

What do you mean by bedding them in??? never installed tweeters before.

oh, and did my first custom installation, modified part of the dash console to fit the sony crossover, pick here - http://www.spottedhaggis.com/crossover.jpg and I have to say for my first effort I was, and am pleased with it.
lotustower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, when I first read your post i couldn't work out how you could fit it in as my o/d light is between the rev counter and speedo in the bottom centre of the main dash under the P, R, N, D, 2 and 1 lights.

Thanks for posting the pict, something else learnt.

Neat job.
steveb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile bedding them in is like running a new engine in, for the first couple of weeks dont turn the speakers up very loud, anything will pop them if you turn it up on full blast straight away, not just if your running them through amps!!!!! Treat them gently and you will get a much better sound from them!
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO, lol, too late, lucky they were only 1.99 each eh (eebuygum) they have not popped yet and are running off the head unit amp, no external amp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: