2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BIOdiesel VS WVO - My view

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickbu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 22:45    Post subject: BIOdiesel VS WVO - My view Reply with quote

hello all , a lot of people here are asking about biodiesel or wvo and i just wanted to share what i have found in my experience.

i have had 4 cars now all running on WVO using a home made twin tank setup  . (diesel for starts WVO for when warm)

i have had 2 injector pump failures and 1 non fatal over around 4 years

the non fatal was the failure of the rubber O ring at the back of the pump where the rotor housing goes into the main body . this is easy replaced while the pump is still on the car. i believe the WVO attacked the rubber causing it to turn into a kindof black glue.. i dont pretend to know what is in WVO that can cause this kindof damage to seals and rubber but i know for sure it can. it swells them and eventually disolves them..

also the main problems i faced when WVOing was filtering the oil... its a complete PITA . gravity filtration does a really good job if you have time. but to be honest i was always fighting with blocked filters and pipes. and air leaks seeing that when on WVO my system was looped back through a heat exchanger so any leaks caused the IP to suck air. and that feeling of OH no is my injector pump failing again? .. now dont get me wrong. i saved a lot of money running on wvo but to be totally honest i dont think its the best way..
which brings me to biodiesel..

anybody can make their own biodiesel at home in an outbuilding, its legal and tax free.. and its more pro's than cons as far as i can see over WVO

you dont need to filter the oil... the process of making biodiesel from it cleans it up for you
you can use solid fats to make biodiesel from. you would have no chance of using these in a wvo system unless you had a heated tank

you dont need to make any modifications to the vehicle.. less things to go wrong

anyone can make biodiesel at home and there are plenty of forums with plans for homemade processors. as mine is - mines made from a steel drum. a central heating pump  some plumbing bits and various other scavenged items.

my 3.1 trooper has been running happily on 100 percent my own home made bio for the last 7 months now ( since i bought it Smile )

the cost of making biodiesel compared to running wvo is more than worth it to me because now i have no more problems.. or trying to settle dirty oil fast enough to use.. i collect from the takeaway oils . kebab lard  etc etc . straight into the processor and clean bio comes out at the end... its all good.. . like i said , ive ran WVO for a long time and i wouldnt go back now i know how to make biodiesel myself. but that said if i didnt know how and i had to BUY bio or use wvo.. it would be wvo all the way
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

keithj

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 22:00    Post subject: BIO Reply with quote

rburn, do you dewater your WVO first? if you dont this will alter the effect of the Methanol "it weakens it?" and you wont make 100% Bio.  "I think" if you put a sample of your processed bio into a glass jar and add neat Methanol and it stays the same then thats great, but if you get Glycerin falling to the bottom of the glass jar then the conversion is not complete.   but I dont make Bio so if I were you i'd ask someone thats been doing it for a few years.

good luck
rickbu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello yes i do dewater my bio . i do glycerin pre wash and de water in the same procedure before processing to bio
chrishewett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a few failures making biodiesel and with the problem of finding wvo that titrated at less than 10, I now use wvo at 30%.
I pump the oil through two filters both 1micron and a water seperator.
Myself and my friend (2.8 pajero) have been running on this for the past two years without any problems sofar.
No fuel heaters or second tank.
Chris
rickbu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

what failures have you had during making bio? yes i know what you mean about finding low titration wvo. im lucky that most of mine is around 3.5 .
chrishewett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair most of my failures were stupid mistakes such as miscalculating the amount of hydroxide.
Other times I don't know what went wrong.
I just decided that with the cost of the raw materiels and cost of collecting them it didn't make much financial sense.
I will soon fit a fuel heating system so that I can use a higher percentage of wvo.
Chris
jbinnington

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 16:26    Post subject: svo in troopahs Reply with quote

jonathan here aka the binman - 3.1 td big'orn  I have been experimenting with alternative fuels too
car runs fine on 100% dinodiesel
also fine on 100% retail biodiesel
also runs fine on a mix of 25% used engine oil and 75% either bio or dino diesel
fitted a heated fuel filter at the weekend and now running apparently happily on 100% svo, c/o local tesco at 98ppl

the only failure I have had over the past 18mths is the seals on the hand primner pump on the fuel filter and the o ring on the water run-off tap on the bottom of the fuel filter, sorted in the short term by the addition of a lift pump between the tank and the filter, longer term fix the new filter assy

wondering about buying some castrol R and getting the race car olefactory experience...
drinksoptional

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started using bio diesel an first time i got 15mile and filter choked up i changed filter and it ran fine. im now using 25 ltres of a mate home brew he asked me to try and i have done 50 miles but i had 8 litrs of diesel in the tank and he said it had a keroson mix . It has ran fine but i think i will go back to the bio diesel place try again it sells it at 1.09 lits though .
Its  in a 2.5td vm engine
cai876

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing about kerosene (and engine oil) is that if you do get dipped its the same penalty as running onn red. But so long as it is below.3% hmrc canot detect it at the roadside.

Tyres 265/75 R16 BFG MT KM2
Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!
drinksoptional

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt know that Shocked
rickbu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats true , just noticed this , dont put anything like kerosine (parraffin) or engine oil in your tank , its considered tax evasion same as running red diesel. , but homemade bio is fine ( so long as you make below the allowed 2500 litres)
drinksoptional

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a bad lot  was full of fat has clogged two filters other than that its running fine so far . wondering should a seal kit be ordered for fuel pump that can use vegggy/bio
cai876

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt bother with a seal kit. A 3.1 has a bosch pump so its fine to use with veg. I would put a heat exchanger in, especially as its becoming colder now.

Your filter will clog up a few times when you first use veg even if its filtered to a milionth of a micron because it picks up all the *beep* in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Tyres 265/75 R16 BFG MT KM2
Suckin' Veg Oil Baby!
Redneckriceburner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to all the bother of fitting a second tank I would do what a mate did years ago, fitted a 85 litre tank in the boot with its own filling point ran the fuel return pipes to this to stop it returning to the original tank and filled it full of red and when he was off road shall we say he ran on the second tank and he had a switch in the cab to switch over to the factory tank when he wanted to. I have seen loads running on bio/svo/wvo and all have issues at some point down the line, better sticking with the real thing or just mixing a bit of svo in with normal diesel, but svo is that expensive now it's hardly worth the hassle.  Smile
rickbu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

that setup of having a seperate tank filled with red and plumbed in is still totally illegal and would net you a possible vehicle confiscation and massive fines + possible prison regardless if you say its only for off road , if you read up on the law your not allowed red diesel in any tank thats connected in any way to the engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: