QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil Filter Size & oil type? '93 3.1td

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingu_turbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 23:29    Post subject: Oil Filter Size & oil type? '93 3.1td Reply with quote

Hi, I am just getting the troop ready for the winter (after I fix my fuel/air leak). Was looking on milners site, does anyone know if the larger 6.5" filter will fit the uk spec engine (shown for import only), or do I have to live with the 5" one? Is it a case of not enough room for the larger one or is it the thead on the block?

Also I was looking at the oil  Rolling Eyes . Milners also show 10w40 semi synth oil or 5w40 fully synth. I have read many posts on oil opinion, but not really came to much of a conclusion. Is the fully synth oil ok to use in this engine, or does it cause problems?

Any ideas chaps?

Mark

Lets have more snow!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 23:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andyisuzu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:14    Post subject: Mmmm Oil and filters Reply with quote

Hiya,

Stick with the 5 inch - it is a pain doing the oil filter anyway - you have to slide it along the chassis.

As for oil - if you put synthetic in you will end up using a lot of oil. I put 5w 30w in an old galaxy and it almost weeee'd out. Ended up topping up a litre a month. Stick with 10w 40w much better for higher temperatures of high speed driving.

My advice is change it every 4 months anyway. You can never do too many services. Do oil and filter every 4 months and fuel and air every 12 months. I know the manual says you can do fuel/air filter every 20-25k miles but I think that is far too long. You need to stop any particles getting in the engine and any water getting in the fuel pump. Both will do cumulative damage.

I would also change gearbox oil every year along with diffs. Make sure you grease your U'Js every time you change your oil. They will last a lot longer.

On a related point, always pack as much grease as possible when changing a wheel bearing. The more grease the better. I change them every 40K if they need it or not. It means you get very few problems.

Finally, I would change all bushes for poly bushes if you can. At least then you can fit them and forget them for at least 80k.

While you are at it - if you can afford it, get the radiator recored to a higher spec.  Bung some "wetter water" in with 5 year anti-freeze (red). You can never be too careful.

Andy

Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD Auto, Seven Seater 1995 (With Lotus Handling)
pingu_turbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Andy, thanks for the service schedule! thumbright

Will certainly apply some of that this time around, cannot afford all of it just yet.

But on the plus side, I have got something to work towards.
Is there any special fluid for the gearbox/diffs? Im not sure of the correct grades.

Also does anyone have any thoughts on engine oil flush? I usually use wynns stuff in my car, aways worked well for me. Just thinking about the 3.0 and how not to use it in that.

Lets have more snow!
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never done an oil flush, the oil isnt in there long enough  Laughing
I also agree with a lot of the above but most is OTT.
Axles are gear oil, 80's is fine with LSD rated for the rear if fitted, manual box and transfer box is normal engine oil, the same grade as you use for your engine so just buy more  Smile
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks markymoan,

I understand that about the engine oil changes. I havent had my truck very long (since july) I was just paranoid about what hasnt been done before, like regular changes. I wanted to clear the backlog of gum & gunk build up that may/maynot be there. Would it do any harm? Just for my piece of mind really. Smile

Lets have more snow!
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt flush, just do regular oil changes as the doctor ordered.
If its not broken then dont fix it  Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, apart from the cooling, that needs a regular flush or it will bung up  Shocked  Confused  Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: