All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

mercedes 230e running problem,anyone know about these?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the flower man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:16    Post subject: mercedes 230e running problem,anyone know about these? Reply with quote

hi all!im gana pick your brains this morning.yesterday i went to look at a 230e on a j plate.it has a running issue but i got it anyway as it was so cheep and couldnt beleve there was no rust anywhere! Shocked  Shocked  Laughing
the running problem is as follows............
tickover is not as smooth as it should be,abit lumpy but not drasticly so.it will drive for 5 miles or so and then loose all power like there is dirt or air in the fuel.no warning lights come up but it splutters and all sorts..........suddenly clears and i have full power again.this interestingly happens mostly on right hand bends which is very strange Shocked .
when the engine is warm it can go into this spluttering stage and when you try and pull off she stalls.will not start up again,just turns over and over.got out and left her for a fue minits ,kicked her over again with no throttle and she started instantly and drove normaly for 5 minits and again the problem appeared.
hope that all makes sence.where should i start looking? even though she is 21 years old the injection system is fully computorised and thats whats done me  Laughing  Laughing
help much appreceated! i know there are people on hear that have had the w124 merc
thanks for reading Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

the flower man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see you may need prompting Laughing  Laughing would i be right in suspecting the fuel pump or fuel pump relay?
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lose wire ?
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the owners club for info but i'm 90% sure it will be the ecu, They are prone to fail, The only reason i know is the musso i had shared the same engine. There's one on eebuygum at the moment just check the code is the same, I'm almost certain anything before 98-99 is plug and play and wont need recoding(but please check), Again please look into it and dont buy one on my say so.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
the flower man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked dont say that! all the merc forums are saying the solder brakes in the fuel pump relays because of dry joints (a factory weakness apparently) this then turns on and off the pump changing the presher of the fuel lines hence the feeling of running out of petrol.i hope you ant right dylan.that does sound expencive! fuel pump relay sounds feezable though dont it?
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine cost £70 from a scrapper, Mine would start now and again, run lumpy for 5 to 10 mins then cut out. When cranking, now and again your get a glimmer of hope then nothing again. I'm definately not saying this is your problem BUT it's worth thinking about, Having said that if the forum is saying dry joints in fuel pump that would be my first port of call as the owners usually know what their talking about. Good luck with it mate.

DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=28266

The guy in that post said he tested pump with a live feed, Maybe worth a try Question

ruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

we just part exchanged our 94` merc c250 elegance for our 94`bighorn ,dry joints were an issue with ours when we first got her amongst other things several grand and loads of work later i wanted rid (didnt like her in the first place anyway) had enough of the biatch  wave   Very Happy
the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help.i have read more on this now and it was an issue with 1993 onward with the biodigradable wireing harness.the harness breaks down and shorts damaging the ecu.mine is a 1991 before the issue happened and my ecu is protected with a 10amp fuse (which is fine) ruth you are totaly right.the c class was rubbish but the older mercs were quite a good car.i also have a 1994 bighorn and i have worked on it so much i cant tell you.they are good motors and i love mine but they ant easy to work on.rad,stering box,alternator,head gasket(skimmed head)2 lots of discs and pads in 3 and a half years as i didnt know the calipers seeze.auto box problems which was all sorted by flushing and replacing filters ect.tps kickdown problem which is £160 (didnt sort this as im not on the motorway that much so i live with ajusting it and tape over the check trans light Laughing dont mind working on a motor but the bighorn is imposable!have you tryed to change the alternator?omg it took all day and i changed my mates merc 124 in 2 hours.its just the room you dont have on these motors.they are old and will break which i expect.thank god i can work on it my self.hope you dont have the problems i have had with mine.expect the autobox problem though as everyone has that! Laughing
on the up side of all this i have learnt loads thanks to all the people on this site so if any probs do happen i will prob know how to do it and will talk you through if you need me to Wink
the flower man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,for anyone needing a fix to the problem i had with the 230e missfire at warm temp for no reason.i think i have cracked it after doing 60 miles in her today and she never missed a beat! Very Happy
the ignition amp is mounted on the off side wing on a heat sink.mercedes put a heat greace inbetween the unit and the inner wing to dispurce the heat and i read on a merc forum that this gear breaks down over time.i removed the unit(3 bolts 12mm) cleaned it up.removed the thin plastic sheet it comes with.put computor heatsink grease on the back of the unit and mounted it straight on to the inner wing.running the car after this ,you could feel the inner wing getting worm as it took the heat away from the ignition amp as it was designed too.it cost £5.20 somthing to fix so i think worth a try before changing any expencive stuff.hope that helps someone that may have this happen to there merc Wink
DYLAN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy In this instance i'm very glad i was wrong Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

the flower man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing god ,so am i!i was worried there but all is well.your were right with the 1993 mark onwards.its amazing that biodegradable wireing biodegarded before the car did Shocked  Shocked i beleve it was the temperatures that were reached in the engine bay that speeded things up.merc want £500 for the engine wireing loom! having said that it would be interesting to see if the fuel injection was fully computorised at the point of the wireing loom change.if it was still bocsh k jet then i dont see why you couldnt get a loom from an older car in a breakers to solve the problem may be?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: