QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Idiot's guide to BIO diesel!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2manyhorses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 20:30    Post subject: Idiot's guide to BIO diesel! Reply with quote

can someone please give me the above?  Laughing

I would love to think there would be a cheaper way to keep my beloved trooper on the road, so any info please, but make it very simple lol

thanks  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 20:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Cestria

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth and there will be many who will have their own opinions.
Because of the relatively short average commute and because of the availability of Waste Vegetable Oil to process, I decided to mix my own Bio ‘in tank’. I’ve been using Straight Vegetable Oil in my 3.1 Bighorn for many years. I started experimenting with small quantities of SVO, putting 3ltrs per tank of DERV, then upping it to 6lts etc. I now use up to 2:1 SVO to DERV in the summer and 50:50 in the winter. The only modification to my truck is a heated filter head, which I found as a kit on eebuygum. I have in the past mixed a brew of Bio with Unleaded Petrol and Veggi Booster but found this unnecessary even in the coldest days of this winter. I buy the oil at Makro but the same stuff is available at Costco in 20ltr in plastic and cardboard containers. When my tank gets down to about 2/3 empty in the summer and about half in the winter (just using the gauge as a guide) I drop 40lts (summer) or 20lts (winter) and fill the tank with DERV. I’ve had no problems at all with this method and find the truck runs much sweeter with the oil than on pure DERV, which I’ve had to do on occasions when away from home.
I have used a commercial WVO bio diesel, which was on sale in our area, this might have been a bad batch, but the truck wouldn’t change into top gear the next day. I drained off the fuel and after few hours watched the fat settle to the bottom of the containers.
2manyhorses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Cestria   Very Happy

the SVO you use, is it sunflower, rapeseed or just bog standard vegetable oil?

thanks
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but mixing veg oil is not Bio Diesel, Bio is a fuel created in a reactor using various chemicals, water, heat and cleaning/drying processes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Sorry but mixing veg oil is not Bio Diesel, Bio is a fuel created in a reactor using various chemicals, water, heat and cleaning/drying processes.

Hi Markymoan  Very Happy

as I mentioned at the start of the topic I know very little about the whole thing so please feel free to explain the various options available as an alternatives to using fore court diesel

thanks  Very Happy
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

cestria is correct about using veg oil, I used it for years, I used to get 20L of KTC and mix about 25% Diesel with it in summer  Smile
I only said that because many people get confused between Bio and Veg.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember not to do that now though marky.....your truck will run as rough as a badgers ass  Laughing  Laughing
2manyhorses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mark  Very Happy
are there any precautions/procedures you need to put in place before using SVO?

also on the Bio diesel front where would you buy it?  and how much per litre?
thanks
markymoan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carry a spare fuel filter as it will clean the inside of your tank and the fuel lines within the first few tankfulls, it will be fine after.
I got my Bio local for 85p but that was a couple of years ago.

Col  Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, I'd check out some of the resources below... bio diesel is very different from using straiht oil/diesel mix...

basics:
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Processor_-_basic_design
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Biodiesel_Process_Guide
http://www.biofuel-uk.net/

a very useful forum:
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum

I'm also starting up producing my own bio diesel... you can run on 100% bio diesel and is comparable to diesel from the pumps.

I've also been lookin at company who sell 'kit' for producin biodiesel with all the required components.
anth.payne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: If i recall correctly, there is a place in Team Valley that sell it from the pump... although it has been over a year since I passed them/took notice
2manyhorses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

anth.payne wrote:
PS: If i recall correctly, there is a place in Team Valley that sell it from the pump... although it has been over a year since I passed them/took notice

where about's on the valley?

thanks  Very Happy
anth.payne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i recall correctly, I think it was on Dukesway Ct:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&biw=1205&bih=782&q=team%20valley&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

But i really couldnt say if they're stil there... looking here:

http://www.petrolprices.com/biodiesel-companies.html

It isnt listed, but I'm not sure how encompassing this is... a couple list durham way, Barnard Castle... and I stumbled across one in berwick...
Cestria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil I use is KTC (genetically modified Soya), the most recent I've bought was £18.95/20lts.
The supplier of Bio I mentioned is near Chester-le-Street, close to Batley's on the Drum Ind Est. He has posters on lamp post all around the area, sorry I'm not sure what his trading name is.
Try a little of his pump Bio if you find him to see if you have the same trouble as I did.
whatarascal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been making biodiesel for 3 years now.
Most of the information anyone would need concerning the production of biodiesel or the use of vegetable oil can be found on this site.
vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum
Best of luck to anyone who ventures there.
There can be problems with older cars using biodiesel and svo or wvo.Injection pump seals rubber fuel tubing rubber injector leakoff pipes will tend to rot.
I have found that being reactive rather than proactive with these issues suits me as the recovery services work well when needed.
The newer vehicles are equiped with viton seals and tubing so are impervious to biodiesel.
I also find that biodiesel will clean the inside of fuel lines and tank and deposit the rubbish in your filter.
Spare filter and a couple of litres of fuel can be carried for when filter blocks.
I have heard horror stories about biodiesel bought from comercial producers these producers are not obliged to make their fuel to en.standards.
Its best to make you own that way you know what your putting in your tank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: