2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil changes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 21:07    Post subject: Oil changes Reply with quote

I'm confused, how often should I get the oil & filter changed in my 1998 3.1 Trooper? At the moment i have it changed yearly. My mileage is only 52000 and average around 8000 a year. I've seen on this forum quotes of changing oil every 3000mls..........brilliant caravan towing vehicle it doesn't even know when it's being driven on the other side of the road in Europe Laughing

many thanks keith
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 21:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jon willy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Keith.......
I religiously change my oil every 2500 miles and the oil and filter every 5000 and currently at 152000 miles its still as sweet as a nut.

Towed caravans in France & Spain and up in the Pyrennees into Andorra never a problem or a hiccup.

Jon.
shaungriff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends how long you want your engine/turbo to last ? oil & filter changes are cheaper & less hassle than engine changes ! manufacturers recommend longer service intervals as a selling point.
NickP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the 3.1 ist came out the oil change interval was every 3000 miles,then it changed to 4500miles (because of customer complaints about servicing costs I expect) but when Vauxhall brought out the Monterey it was 9000 miles so that it fitted in with their current service schedules! I'd change the oil and filter every 3000 miles regardless especially if you use it for towing.
davedgreat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

My manual says every 4500miles, which I follow, when I 1st got the car,I changed it every 6k, but I did recognise the tractor engine noise once it got over 5k.
So now, oil and filter change every 4,500, I also get semi-synthetic in 25lt drums, works out £1/litre.
Ray_of_Sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil every 4500 miles oil filter and fuel filter every 9000 miles I dont recall the air filter intervals at the moment.

Thats what it says on the manual and service book of our 1998 3.1D as well.
Paul V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always do both filter and oil at 5000ks or 3000miles..
Pray tell what's the point of leaving a litre of FILTHY oil in a FILTER that looks like *beep*.. a filter is so cheap and a new donk so expensive..

CHEERS
PV
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep me too, change the oil and filter at 3K on my 2.8, but then a filter from Milners is something like £2.50, so I buy one of their full filter kits and a couple of extra oil filters for the intermediate changes between the full services.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
keithj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 18:48    Post subject: Oil changes Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys, and there was me beating up my reliable Troop all for the sake of regular oil changes. What do think of me changing the oil & filter twice a year and air filter once a year? Normaly when I have a service I would have the fuel filter changed at the same time just to be sure what do you think.

Unfortunately I'm getting too old to scrawl under cars these days so I have to ask a local mechanic to do it for me consequently It costs me loadsa £.

thanks again keith
davedgreat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to risk kwikfit , they'll do oil and oil filter change for £18.90, thats just for mineral oil though. Most cars do at least 15k on a fuel filter change, I wouldn't be changing this filter twice a year, if your mileage is average, as you may start problems with air tight seals etc. Also do quick visual on the air filter, if it's *beep* up, change it. hope this helps.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing amount of confusing information about this subject. I change my oil and filter every 5,000kms (3,000 miles) and my air filter once a year but do change it around in the housing at oil change time.

Here's what the Bighorn handbook says on a 3.1:

Oil - 3,000 miles
Air - 6,250 miles
Fuel - 25,000 miles
Man Trans oil - 25,000 miles
Auto Trans oil - never (!)
Front diff - 25,000 miles
Rear Diff - 25,000 miles

Looks like for engine oil they upped the mileage on later 3.1's but I'll stick with the original.

Recently changed the LSD oil in mine. What a mess! The gunk that came out defied description. Been quieter since so well worth doing and only a few quid.

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
wayjonbar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 22:17    Post subject: oil. Reply with quote

Iv'e recently got me a 3.1td,and would appreciate any advice regarding the type of engine oil to use at service.Is the use of isuzu filters a must ??. Question Question thanks guys.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! I use 10-40 semi-synth Motul but any good quality synth, semi, or plain mineral will get the job done as long as the oil and filter is changed regularly (every 3,000 miles). With a top grade fully synth you can stretch the service interval some, it's up to you.

I use Milners Off Road for all service items. They do great deals on service packs for 3.1 and deliver next day. No hassle.

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Paul V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're possibly being a wee bit general in describing the suggested oils..always use diesol rated oil.. they have additives (detergents) to minimise emissions and absorb the nasties.
Your likely working ambient Temperature should also be a consideration..if you are likely to experience temps below freezing you should consider a 5-40 or 10-40 rated oil..if you own a later model 3L I believe you only ever use 5-40..
Enjoy your winter and those easy starts with a quality 5-40/10-40 rated oils.

Cheers
PV
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard1 wrote:

Recently changed the LSD oil in mine. What a mess! The gunk that came out defied description. Been quieter since so well worth doing and only a few quid.

Did mine, stinks worse than EP90 doesn't it? I did mine because I suspected it had normalEP90 oil in it. Where did you get your LSD oil from as I had a bvgger of a job to find it, had to scrounge a can full from the dealer in the end. My gearbox and transfer box oil had definitely seen better days but the axles were clean.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: