All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.9 Discovery fuel consumption?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseldog69

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so it has arrived here in Belgium with many thanks to the old boys network of friends that I belong Wink

So here we go Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8 hope you are sitting down for this achieved a rotten 7MPG thats right 7!!!!! this was motorway nearly all the way and steady cruising speed of 70mph, OMG what has gone wrong????

Guess its gotta be an ignition fault, maybe HT leads, plugs, coil, start cheap and work my way through it, had planned a good service any how so it looks likely it'll happen sooner rather than later.

I was pleased to know that it has an LPG system fitted already but I bought it with it non-running, and thinking about the fact it has such poor MPG and suspect ignition system failings it sounds about right that the LPG wont run as it requires a tip-top ignition system to run effectively.

So will be spending a good few euro getting her up to scratch.

Will only wince at the fuel gauge once its sorted.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dieseldog69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its arrived and we are experiencing technically difficulties, 7mpg Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation

I had high hopes and its been dashed!!!!

think its head gaskets but will know more very soon!!!
Mork_77
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine got down to those levels and after spending £1200 I traded it in as I lost all confidence in it, it still didnt feel like it was driving right and the mpg may have still been as low as you are getting, dont give up on it though as I have seen my old one a couple of times so it must have been sorted out.
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can get 7mpg out of the astra, but thats with the sport button on and red lining it Laughing

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
dieseldog69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no intentions on letting this beast out of my ownership, well never say never but it would take a massive ammount of money to convince me that it was worth letting go of, I mean its a 3.9 V8 and one of the very last of the 3door shells sold in the uk and its void of those stupid leaky sun roofs and its so rot free its almost untrue!!!!!

The transporter when he told me it had cost the princely sum of £390 for the delivery from the Hampshire uk to Antwerp Belgium and I thought great, he must have lived it up on the Boat as I had said it was a fully expensed trip, only to find out the fuel costs were actually more than half of the bill, a mere 260miles and it drank £160 of fuel, we costed it at £90 based on a long run with an average 20MPG but how wrong were we!!!!!

I did e-mail the sellers via E-blag to thank them for giving me a wonderful beast to enjoy and they rung to ask if I was a multi millionaire???? and whether it was ok for me?
I simply replied well there is always a reason a car is for sale and I take it for this one its the excessive fuel consumption, I was always told this "when you buy a second hand car, the purchase price is just the deposit", so depending on which way you looks at it either I was had or I have got a great car that just needs some TLC?

Either way, I'm happy, with the LPG working I'll better the costs of running a diesel and with the fun note frome the V8 it'll be well Cool
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieseldog69 wrote:
I simply replied well there is always a reason a car is for sale and I take it for this one its the excessive fuel consumption, I was always told this "when you buy a second hand car, the purchase price is just the deposit", so depending on which way you looks at it either I was had or I have got a great car that just needs some TLC?

Either way, I'm happy, with the LPG working I'll better the costs of running a diesel and with the fun note frome the V8 it'll be well Cool

A very sound philosophy, this is the way I'm viewing my Blazer, its already responded well to a new set of plugs and is running much much better, that will I suspect improve even more with plugs, cap, rotor and leads and an oil and filter change.  I also think I have a sticky throttle cable.  Like yours all niggling little bits of negelect that aren't neccesarily expensive to put right but that will make a huge difference.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dieseldog69

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah know what you mean by the inexpensive niggly faults, looking  up parts in the uk and for full ignition set is less than £200 and thats all genuine parts inc, coil!!!

The suspected head gasket failure is and isnt a big deal as I had planned having them done before a failure occured, especially with 104,000 on the clock, check cam and replace if at all suspect and same as with push rods and rockers, preventative maintenance is more economical than band-aid run it til it wont philosophies, well my personal opinion any way!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Non-Isuzu technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: