QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Which Tyres ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:42    Post subject: Which Tyres ?? Reply with quote

HI Folks,

I am after some advice... i drive around 1000 road miles each month and am looking to either get a second set of wheels fitted with mainly off-road tyres (must still be road legal) or replace my tyres with an all-terrain tyre that will offer good road handling, wear and grip yet perform in the sticky stuff.

I realise i might be searching for the unknown as the perfect tyre will only exist in peoples minds... your thought & experiences please.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have General Grabber AT2's on my MK 1 and so far am very pleased with them, nice and quiet and grippy on road yet perform well off road and in snow. They do however, clog up in heavy mud as you would expect. They also come with a 50K mile warranty in the USA so should wear well. Oh and they're cheaper than BF Goodrich's

In your situation if you can afford it I'd go for a road biased pair for normal use, theres a big article on fuel economy in this months L**drover Owner Mag that shows tyre choice between AT's MT's and pressures significantly effect consumption and a second set of cheapo steel wheels (maybe pick a set up from a breaker) fitted with some hefty MT remoulds for off road action. OK changing them over is a bit of a PITA but ten minutes with a trolley jack and your done.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
fifth4x4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put a set of colway ATs on my Troop. I stuck an wanted ad in the Ad Mag and got a set of steels for 20 quid Smile One of the tyres was ok so thats good for a spare tyre. I have a set of cobra alloys with road tyres on. The colways cost me £164. I'll keep them on till about the end of march then put the road tyres back on for the summer.I do approx 1,000+ miles per month. Did same thing with my last 4x4 and was very pleased with them.The Troop looks odd though now as the alloys stuck out from the vehicle and these don't.
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i need to worry about the sizes etc?? it looks like BF Goodrich dont do the Mud Terrains in the 245/70/16 as fitted to my motor - also will i need to take the higher tread profile into account?

Cheers!! & Thanks !!
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a useful tyre size calculator that lets you play with rim sizes and profiles to sompare the rolling radius. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

If these are goinmg to be your only tyres I'd try and get something approaching the same size or a touch bigger, if they're going to be purely for off road use then get the biggest that'll fit under there (31's I think on an unmodified trooper)

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: