Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fitting a UK stereo in my Trooper

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 20:58    Post subject: Fitting a UK stereo in my Trooper Reply with quote

Me again!

The trooper I have brought is a Jap import and has an original japanese Isuzu radio cassette player fitted. I want to remove it and fit a new one. (Actually the dealer I brought it from will fit it for me).

Have been looking at various units and got very confused. Excuse the really dumb questions but what is DIN, what is ISO and what is 'band expander' all about.

What else am I likely to need to make this all work smoothly?

Life is never easy!

lasher
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 20:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DAVE FROM NEWCASTLE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 20:59    Post subject: dead easy Reply with quote

to switch it on lol
came back of holiday and i could not even remember how to swicth mine lol Sad Sad Sad
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 21:01    Post subject: Re: Fitting a UK stereo in my Trooper Reply with quote

Lasher wrote:
Me again!

Life is never easy!

lasher
true but then again nobody said it would be 8) frank
lotustower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIN and ISO are both International Standards Organisations to ensure that everything will fit throughout the world, if only.

In days gone by the connectors on the back of the In Car Equipment ICE varied from set manufacturer to manufacturer. So to enbale them to poach someone elses busines they came up with a standard, ISO, and all agreed to it, many kept their own connector on the radio but the car harness had the ISO connector. Then things moved on and more bits got added to the ICE so they needed more pins and hence another standard, DIN. They also had decided to make all fittings the same size, single DIN or 2 DIN, again so the customer had more choice Confused . This also created a great opportunity for the tieves who could make a tidy profit down the pub as any ICE unit would fit any car and the ICE manufcturers got to sell another unit! Due to the high levels of theft, government pressure and incentives, and no increased money for the auto manufacturers some decided to build them into the dash.

And here we are today with systems like the 'I-drive' in the BMW's which is a fully integrated multimedia and control network based on fibre optics, for reasons of weight and EMC, but don't beleive that rubbish. Which offers so many features they never get used, but you wait till one goes wrong and see the cost of replacement!!

This is my take on the whole complex scenario of standardisation, specifically in the car industry. But it gives an idea as to what the different bits mean, without too much of the politics.

So you can have an ISO to DIN converter on the back but make sure its the right one, and the holes, top and bottom in the Mk2 Trooper are made to the single DIN. And I am sure the MK1 has a single DIN hole as well.

Happy playing!!
mart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days ISO tends to refer to a particular type of connector as in the picture below. DIN is to do with the size of the hole in the dash or the size of the radio.

mart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ever happend to a good old sing song Laughing all together JINGLE BELLS Laughing frank
Lasher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

blimey, this gets confusing!

I think I'm with Frank!

Thanks for the advice. I think i've narrowed my approach to:

1) Buy a stereo

2) Either find somone to fit it for me or revisit this thread when I try and fit it myself and i all goes disastrously wrong!

should make for a merry ol' christmas! Confused

Lasher
mrwookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new one that the good lady just bought (me offshore) all singing all dancing, but will it fit ???? I know not may be a case of " jingle tills jingle tills" at some electrical fitters to sort it out . May need a handshake if you know what i mean
crocket

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:34    Post subject: Stereo fitting Reply with quote

I changed mine for a UK unit and my mate (an auto electrician - how handy) grafted the new radio's cable into my loom so that the loom is now converted to UK spec and any radio'll fit.
I don't know what wires went where and, being colour blind, don't care. All I know is that it only took him about 10 minutes, works perfectly and cost nothing so, before you part with hard earned for fitting, ask around - you never know, you may know someone who can help.
Incidentally, I'll be getting the dash outa mine again next weekend (17/12/05) as I need to install some other stuff so let me know if you're not sorted by then and I'll send you all the info on colours and positions of cables and you could do it yourself for nowt.
frank sucevic
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrwookie wrote:
My new one . May need a handshake if you know what i mean
no mate i dont no what you mean please interpretate your broken geordie is fine for me mate.have you just started on the rigs if its still the same you are on the first rung of the ladder but it dont take long to climb it mate your pal frank
mrwookie
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

No FRank , i have been offshore 6 years now. Could go higher but as I get 7 months off a year and a wage of £25k, i dont really want to. In previous incarnations I have had my own restuarant, worked in the finest country house hotels in Scotland , sold Ultraseal (great stuff for your tyres www.ultraseal.biz--- upto 40% tyre life increase- stops punctures on tyres---Range rover travelling at 50mph hit in the tyre by solid lead slug OK tyre went down but under control---sorry old sales pitches die hard. Also sold insurance, driven taxis, worked in a slaughter house, as a grave digger and was a mature student (BA rural resourse development)
Lasher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I just brought a Pioneer DEH1730 for anout £50.
I will try and get the garage to fit it but if not, is it easy to do myself?
Will I need to buy a connector from car audio direct or halfords?
Any clues??

Lasher
lotustower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need an adapter, check out the website as you'll get the right one that way, and that's all it should be other than fitting it in the slot. You'll need to take the front of the dash off, 6 screws under the dash horizontal surfaces so the crosshead screwdriver points sywards to get at them. It can be a bit fddly but drop the steering wheel down and if its auto you may need to get it into drive to lift the front off.

Good luck.
Lasher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lotus

Looks like the garage are going to fit my stereo for me when they change the speedo fascia plate from KPH to MPH so they will sort out the electrics.

If they don't, the advice you have alol provided will no doubt prove invaluable.

1 more week to go until I pick up my Big Horn - Just in time for Christmas!!

Can't wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: