2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Performance tuning the 3.0

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 21:49    Post subject: Performance tuning the 3.0 Reply with quote

Has anyone got info, links, pictures etc. of modified 3.0 motors please?  
I'm sure the lump is not running at its potential maximum power, as with all vehicles, so I'm wondering if anyone has actually found a good way of getting serious BHP and Torque gains  Shocked
A simple remap/superchip type of plug in is quoted as giving +30 BHP and +35 lbft, but I want more!
The first area I'm looking at is the turbo: its pretty small for a 3.0 16V twin cam, I think a much bigger one will really improve things? Wouldn't want to go too far though or the motor would lose too much low down torque/power, something I definately don't want to do.....any ideas welcome!  Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 21:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

So -  most unreliable money pit ever owned  - is going to be chipped  for more power ?  Shocked
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! I don't give up very easily....I'm just buying another Frontera for daily use  Laughing
I've long since given up on it being a reliable daily driver, so might as well see what it can do!
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and also, I'm not going to chip it, remapping would be the only way to go  Wink
bazza2541

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive intercooler, some head work and compound turbos?
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, good thinking!
Not sure what can be done with the head though, theres no room for big valves, and the head itself is more air than metal! maybe a bit of porting, but not sure if it will do any good on a dirty diesel?  Laughing
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary has a 'tunit' box (i think it's one of those) fitted to his 3ltr ...... i've looked into a propper re-map but at about £400 it can wait a while.....according to figures it gives quite an increase in power/torque

standard 3ltr  156bhp
                   245lb/ft torque

after re-map
                  about 200 bhp
                  and 300lb/ft torque  Very Happy
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tunit box on mine, noticeable difference in performance and pulls well on 33's. Free flow exhaust with no cat also.  I thought about doing something with the egr and thought about increasing boost but it runs well as it is and I don't wanna upset it too much!
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen the Tunit, looks good I agree. Just think that one area on these engines that needs proper careful work is the injection side of things, and just increasing the fuel pressure isn't perfect! I've got a Turbotune unit on my Master van and its superb, really does bump up the midrange grunt!
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot! I've also got a complete Powerflow stainless system to go on, and a spare front pipe/cat that will be getting 'altered' a bit!
jacksdad1963

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot! I've also got a complete Powerflow stainless system to go on, and a spare front pipe/cat that will be getting 'altered' a bit!
gary820
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want power you will need to up the fueling, by a chip/remap of some sort. Pressure will be increased
If your gonna bolt a bigger turbo etc  on you will need a map to suit, you'll be into custom mapping if you can find someone to do it. It's not a commonly tuned engine beyond off the shelf products.  

I think you need a v8 of some sort not a 3.0 trooper!!!
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think i'd push the 3ltr any further than a normal remap as it's unknown territory  Confused
i think the 3ltr can handle the 200bhp re-map and think that would be quite sufficient for me as it's the torque part that would be the most usefull  Wink
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5 V6  Wink
mcard31
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had a  probitz tuning box was wondering if it would be any good as its not to exspensive  Question or could anyone sugest a good one  Smile

http://www.pro-bitz.com/eshop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=626

Snorkel, Rock/tree sliders, super winch locking hubs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: