QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Rad-Flush comes out CLEAN?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 18:41    Post subject: Rad-Flush comes out CLEAN? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

My 3.0L has been overheating on hills etc. - so I plan to 'fix' the viscous-fan-clutch with a fluid of higher viscosity - but in the meantime, I replaced the Thermostat and the Radiator-Cap and ran a radiator-cleaning-fluid through the system for 2 weeks. This included a few longish runs - which also involved some overheating episodes!

Naturally, I expected this to produce a torrent of filthy sludge when I drained the coolant system today. Not a bit of it! The water + cleaning-fluid came out pale-green and looking pristine! Then I attached a garden-hose to the heater-matrix and flushed the whole system for 15 minutes. This, too, came out looking almost 'drinkable'! No sign of any rust or sludge.

You might think I should be delighted - but I'm a worrier! The Thermostat-Housing [for example] still looks brown and filthy inside - so the coolant-system is NOT perfect - it's just that NONE of the muck came out with the Radiator-Cleaning Compound!

I've refilled it with 50:50 coolant-mix [about 7.5L, including the Overflow-Bottle] - so it's ready to roll - but I don't feel I've made anything better! The Cleaning-Fluid used was one made for domestic central-heating systems - so it should have been capable of removing mountains of sludge - it certainly did in the house - but NOT in the car!

Can anyone offer any help in improving the cooling-system?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 18:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Cam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the Radiator out and check between the cooling fins, if you can't see through them then the wind and air can't get through them. If they are clear I would say from what I've read on here that the inside of the radiator has furred up.

My 3.0 was overheating on hills and it turned out to be the fins blocked with silt not allowing the radiator to cool, was easier to just replace the radiator
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! I, too, thought the Rad must be 'furred-up' inside - that's why I put that stuff through it - but it didn't remove any gunge! The fins are clean enough but kinda 'battered', in places. I could NOT say it's got perfectly clear air-passages - but I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to replace the Radiator! They're NOT cheap!
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a few posts regarding rads, a flush wont cure a blocked rad, Cams right in what he says. Maybe a rad change will sort you out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browndoff wrote:
Yeah! I, too, thought the Rad must be 'furred-up' inside - that's why I put that stuff through it - but it didn't remove any gunge! The fins are clean enough but kinda 'battered', in places. I could NOT say it's got perfectly clear air-passages - but I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to replace the Radiator! They're NOT cheap!

Oh I don't know about that one

keep an eye on eebuygum I got one for £13.20 including delivery lol
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

"[u]Maybe[/u] a rad change will sort you out."

God - I hate 'MAYBE'! That, however, is all one can expect in 'motor-maintenance'! There are so many things which go wrong - and yet share the same symptoms - that no one can ever be really sure that symptom 'A' definitely indicates problem 'B' and solution 'C'!!

The terrible thing is that, with cars, following the wrong 'trail', can be REALLY expensive! Look at the dozens of posts, on this Forum, where guys have pursued a symptom through several component-replacements - and STILL have not solved their problems!

Pardon the rant - I'll go and have a quiet lie down!
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browndoff wrote:
"Maybe a rad change will sort you out."

God - I hate 'MAYBE'! That, however, is all one can expect in 'motor-maintenance'! There are so many things which go wrong - and yet share the same symptoms - that no one can ever be really sure that symptom 'A' definitely indicates problem 'B' and solution 'C'!!

The terrible thing is that, with cars, following the wrong 'trail', can be REALLY expensive! Look at the dozens of posts, on this Forum, where guys have pursued a symptom through several component-replacements - and STILL have not solved their problems!

Pardon the rant - I'll go and have a quiet lie down!

If you don't like the answers don't ask the questions......

Sounds like you have done the obvious so whats left................Radiator!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

won't be the viscous fan
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

won't be the viscous fan
TrooperDan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the rad out, empty it and see if it feels heavier than a mountain bike wheel and tyre (stop laughing) if so its f*****. New rads are really quite light
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

"feels heavier than a mountain bike wheel and tyre"

I'm NOT laughing! Of course, any deposit on the inside would increase the weight! That's a perfectly sound way to settle the issue --- if only I knew the 'proper' weight of a standard Isuzu Trooper Rad. Maybe I should try filling the rad with vinegar for a day, or two - to shift the lime coating...........?

BTW        Eithan - Why are you so sure it COULD NOT be the Fan-Clutch? It must be faulty if it can't pass the 'cardboard in the Fan' test [i.e. very low torque at full operating temperature].
Cam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browndoff wrote:
"feels heavier than a mountain bike wheel and tyre"

I'm NOT laughing! Of course, any deposit on the inside would increase the weight! That's a perfectly sound way to settle the issue --- if only I knew the 'proper' weight of a standard Isuzu Trooper Rad. Maybe I should try filling the rad with vinegar for a day, or two - to shift the lime coating...........?

BTW        Eithan - Why are you so sure it COULD NOT be the Fan-Clutch? It must be faulty if it can't pass the 'cardboard in the Fan' test [i.e. very low torque at full operating temperature].

If the fan is turning when the engine is running then there's a good chance that the fan will have nothing to do with the overheating...........................would of thought that was fairly obvious  Rolling Eyes
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would happily hold the fan on a hot running 3.0l engine, it doesn't lock to the shaft at all and a "cardboard test" doesn't prove it,  if you listen carefully when you start them up you will hear it roar and then die off thats the viscous working.
that and they are pretty bullet proof as well.
on a trooper i will always change the rad before a viscous coupling
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would happily hold the fan on a hot running 3.0l engine, it doesn't lock to the shaft at all and a "cardboard test" doesn't prove it,  if you listen carefully when you start them up you will hear it roar and then die off thats the viscous working.
that and they are pretty bullet proof as well.
on a trooper i will always change the rad before a viscous coupling
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam           Of course the fan turns when it's running - but if it doesn't have the TORQUE to drive the FAN at a decent SPEED to suck air through the radiator-grill, then there's no effective cooling. The whole point of a Viscous-Coupling is that it's supposed to run at much less than the ENGINE-speed - when it's COLD - but at almost the full engine-speed when it's HOT!

Eithan        I don't have a strobe-light to check the speed of the fan - so I can't really be sure at what % of the engine-speed it's running [at any temperature] - but I've never heard any real ROAR - as one SHOULD with a fan running with enough TORQUE behind it to move the air with FORCE.

On another forum, someone suggested a 'sheet of A4 paper test' - i.e. when it's idling HOT, the fan should have enough 'suction-power' to hold a sheet of paper to the front of the rad - when COLD, the paper-sheet would fall to the ground - because the fan was not 'strongly-connected' to the drive-shaft.

Would such a test give a good indication of the 'state' of the fan-clutch?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: