QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Twin Cooling Fan Question.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 15:14    Post subject: Twin Cooling Fan Question. Reply with quote

Advice needed.... Very Happy

Running a "bumped up" 3.1...Have fitted twin Mondeo fans.Same as X-Eng twin thermo controller in bottom hose    On/Off    88/83 and 92/87.
With the fans disabled on a warmish day(today) and booting it in 4th & 5th up inclines,no issues and needle stays well below half,switch fans on and the lower range fan seems to be permanently on even when parked and on rundown once NOT is reached.
Is it because the fan is set within the operational parameters of the thermostat circa 85 deg and would I be better of wiring the pair to the upper temp thermo switch,bearing in mind that any serious heat generation would be with the tin tent on.
The system is wired for versatility so any configuration change is really simple so any input would be welcome and easy to try.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 15:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ted

I'm just going to wire in 2 on/off switches .. (not much help really)

How did you mount the fans ? You got any photos ?

Ian
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

Location: Where ever I happen to be in my imagination but mainly Far East Sussex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics Ian but I cut down the top "ears" (and cut off the bottom ears) and drilled them to accept cable ties from the front panel,offset to the drivers side so that expansion tank still fits and a two vertical rubber strips to stop the plastic housing fretting on the rad.The bottom of the fan housing sits on the lip at the bottom of the rad.
I'll try to get some pics tomoz but its that tight in there I don't think they'll show much,but I'll have a go  Wink
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and if you have mondeo fans...I found that when they are warm the startup current will blow 30A spade fuses,I've got 50A plant fuses fitted.
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Robbo wrote:
Oh and if you have mondeo fans...I found that when they are warm the startup current will blow 30A spade fuses,I've got 50A plant fuses fitted.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked really ?

I was thinking of moving expansion bottle about a inch so I could make a thin bracket

So it would mount on to the ears that are there .
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
Red Robbo wrote:

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked really ?

Yep
I was thinking of moving expansion bottle about a inch so I could make a thin bracket

So it would mount on to the ears that are there .Yep

Basically "Yep"  Laughing ....Yeh I was surprised about the start up current thing,but then I had been fiddling about and as things get warmer motor resistance gets slightly lower and startup current gets that  wee bit higher.fans have been thorougly checked and no problem found also at running voltage for a fixed resistance  current draw will be higher but also smaller blade fuses aren't really designed for that sort of loading,so its either anti-surge or up the rating,either way in case of a fatal flaw,fuses a blo-blo  Razz
Nav

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I had what might have been a similar problem, as soon as power was applied to the fan circuit it ran continuously, turned out the thermo switch was faulty and was permanently closed powering the circuit all of the time, a new switch cured the problem. I have an identical setup and the fans are fused at 30 amps, using two relays to  power the fans and no problems with blown fuses. If you are using relays on your fans is it possible that there is a small current leakage maybe through a bulb that is holding the relay in ?  

When I first fitted the fans I thought that they did not work but I find that they only seen to come on if I am towing a trailer up a long hill or standing in traffic for a long ting.

Pete
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to do them through relays really Robbo  as the  motor inrush current is higher than the fuse blow setting and have a look at this set up -

Gives you two speed auto cooling through 3 relays ,works well on the 90

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/electric/ac306/coolfan2/fanop1.htm

I suspect you have a wire backfeeding for the fan to stay on  Smile
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both fans are relay switched,the LT fan only comes on when NOT is reached,not permanently on,just seems it switches within the parameters of the main thermostat.
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the LT switch maybe not quite as described ie not 88/83 but a couple of degrees lower ,will try with just HTswitch on both fans and see how that is.....more WIP  Rolling Eyes
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now running both fans off the 92/87 (?) switch and all seems fine  Very Happy  Will try with tin tent on and will probably turn fuel and boost down a touch  Wink
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this ......."50101- - - - - - - - - - - -84-79/88-83 "
Possible the unit I bought of eebuygum has this fitted......X-Eng out of stock at the mo so found an alternative..... hmmm
Gribble

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it might be bit too low on the low range ?
Red Robbo
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
Indeed it might be bit too low on the low range ?

Persacktermon......All seems good at the mo........ Very Happy
Hunter
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ted what size (amps) relays you running them through ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: