2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Brake fluid loss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boozy nights

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 17:28    Post subject: Brake fluid loss Reply with quote

After my adventure yesterday of having no brakes and the family in the car Shocked I have found the problem. Got a major leak from the rear nearside brake at the back. It is pouring out, literally. Cant seem to see where from? Possibly 2 lots, although it could just look like that.
Any ides? Have these things got seals at the back of the calipers? Cant jack the thing up on my drive - BIG slope. Dont really wanna be ripped off by the garage.
This thing is spending more time there that here!

Any advise would be appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 17:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a seal gone in the caliper although I'd have thought that would have leaked around the piston, more likely is the brake pipe/hose or even a loose/broken bleed nipple. Best thing to do is clean it all up, top it up and get someone to pump the pedal gently whilst you look for where the clean fluid is coming from.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Boozy nights

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bolt say to the left as I look at it from under the car, seems to be coming from behind that, the fluid is actually dripping off that bolt but as I say without jacking the car up, its probably hard to tell.
Had the car 5 days, and regretting it Crying or Very sad Got loose steering column to sort also.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont worry about it m8 they all come with teehing problems.
Belive me i know. Wink

wish mine only came with them problems. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they all come with the nagging wife? "told you so" Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine do
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, most definiteley. What mk trooper is it, MK 1, MK 2 etc, is the handbrake the disk one or the one with the little drum? If it's a MK1 or has a disk handbrake then that sounds like the plug that hides the adjuster for the handbrake in which case I would guess it's new caliper time. Milners offroad are your best friend, a new caliper is about 80 quid.

Boozy nights

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a MK2, got discs all round. Its in the garage as we speak so will keep you posted. Just lucky I was only going slow, god knows what would have happened had I been on a motorway doing 70 at the time Confused

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Alfasud used to drop the front pads out of the calipers if they got too worn (a common problem on them) happened to me twice once at slow speed and once at 40 mph. No problem you think, just yank up the handbrake, until you realise that the handbrake is also on the front (inboard) calipers, takes a long time to coats to a stop from 40! You were lucky it happened at slow speed. Since then I've always been a little paranoid about brakes and tend apart from pad changes to have anything more major done by a garage. At least if they kill me my wife can sue them!

Boozy nights

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over £400 for repairs. Rear n/s caliper completely goosed, looks like all pads have broken up and damaged the discs, and to be fair it did sound like metal to metal when the brakes did work.
This has turned out to be an expensive lesson Confused Already thrown a cambelt on the thing £200, well better to be safe than sorry.

How much is a divorse these days Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds quite pricey, a new caliper is £90, £22.50 each for the disks (they should be replaced as a pair to prevent the brakes pulling to one side) and a set of pads £13.50 from Milners so you're looking at paying over £250 in labour charges.

Boozy nights

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need the car back today, wife works in a nursery and takes the kids with her. It is the only car we have, so it's a must we have it back.

Thanks for your help though, it is much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: