All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

First service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:45    Post subject: First service Reply with quote

Hi, gonna service the old girl (94 bighorn 3.1td auto) for the first time when I'm off this week and wondered if there's anything specific to troopers I should look out for. I know the last owner kept it well serviced but am unsure if the likes of the gearbox and diff fluids will need changing. Any help would be appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

russell.huffer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have g80 rear dif make sure you use LSD oil

Russell.
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake slider bolts  Exclamation , auto transfer fluid
marcf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russell and 412. Would you recommend changing these fluids or just checking the state of them?
Browndoff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking the Brake-Slider-Bolts, as suggested by D12, is a biggish job. You'll have to get each wheel off to check the condition of  the whole braking system - Disc-wear [maybe a 'rim' forming on the edge, due to heavy wear], very thin pads, perished and leaky hydraulic-hoses etc.

The Callipers slide in and out on the Slider-Bolts - which should be lubed with heat-resisting grease - if NOT, they can become dried-out due to the frictional-heating of the Brakes and then they STICK - which leads to nasty problems! Pull out each one and ensure they're moving smoothly and well-greased.

Check that your Parking-Brake-Cables both move freely in and out and that the Brake 'sets' at 6-7 'clicks'  from fully down.

Oh - and one more thing, watch out for differential-oil leaking into your Parking-Brake-Drums! If they're not entirely DRY - it may indicate the impending doom of your wheel-bearings [as I found out myself!]
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the front and rear diff oil levels and the transfer box too  for now .

Change the oils in these at the same time so you know where you are later or after its been in deep water .

I would also jack up the front and check the wheel bearing have no play .

Dont forgeet to check the SOTF oil level on the front axle.
marcf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Seems it isn't going to be as simple as I first thought. I would know where the sotf or transfer boxis or how to check the diff fluids!
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot more than I ever did for any previous car - but if you like to make the 'right' start with the Trooper - and avoid any nasty surprise - then you'll download the PDF manual and check out these service-points.

Jeepolog

With any new vehicle, you'd change the oil - just to be sure - this baby just has a few more places where OIL - or other fluids - must be added!
marcf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i rarely use it i think the handbrake may need some attention then Browndoff, as it only holds the vehicle on a slope at around 9 - 10 clicks. Do i adjust this under the passenger floor as i read on main site or on adjuster wheels on wheel hubs?
Browndoff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, If you have checked out the Brake-Slider-Bolts, as suggested earlier, you should have then adjusted the Rear-Brake-Shoes to 'just' clear the Drums when re-assembling - that's using the Star-Wheel-Adjuster which is inside the Drum - but accessible, using a little rubber plug, from outside the Drum.

That could easily STILL leave the Hand-Brake-Lever going to 9-10 clicks before engaging - though when engaged, it should be nice and tight! To set the 'right' amount of movement on the Lever - you have to go underneath and loosen the locknut and adjust until it engages fully at 6-7clicks. It's quick and easy - but any job underneath can be dusty and nasty!
marcf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers browndoff, I'll give it a go. Just read on here about there being two oil filters and am unsure if I heve bought the correct one. Where is the main oil filter located?
marcf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading it again and it says its the 3ltr trooper that has the two oil filters. Does anyone know if the 3.1td is the same. I have been under the motor and located a filter about 12" from the o/s wheel. Can anyone tell me if this is the main oil filter?
KeithB1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one filter on the 3.1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: