2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper number3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPisley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27    Post subject: Trooper number3 Reply with quote

I'm new to the site so hello everyone, first of all I'm no mechanic, in fact whenever I try to do anything myself to my troopers I normally end up getting super frustrated, *beep* it up and end up sending it to the workshop to sort out! I'm British but live in Borneo, the Malaysian state of Sabah to be exact, I'm a wildlife photographer and run a production company so my work takes me into the rainforest normally in remote areas and on old logging tracks, hence the 4WD.

My first trooper was a 2.8 and I loved it, had it between 2002 and 2008, this is it;
[img][/img]

I sold it in 2008 to be replaced with a 1997 model as below;
[img][/img]
In action during a Discovery shoot;
[img][/img]
However earlier this year I was driving into a very remote area and unfortunately fell asleep at the wheel, had been extremely busy all week and rather than pull over I thought I could make it to the next village. I opened my eyes and was already on gravel on a sharp bend, we went into the ditch and rolled a few times, myself and my colleague climbed out with just a few bumps and scratches and I immediately knew I would replace it with another trooper!
[img][/img]

So this is my third trooper, once the insurance paid out I found this one, another white one - not by choice but where I live 90% of the cars are white.
[img][/img]
That picture was the day after I bought it. I immediately had a roof rack fitted, replaced the front bumper, added snorkel ready for another trip. Unfortunately the end of the trip didn't end well, I had some crazy sounds from the engine and blew the piston on the way home!
[img][/img]
I tracked down my old trooper and managed to get the workshop to replace the engine with the engine from my old trooper which was ok after the crash.
[img][/img][img][/img]

So its now back to good running, I changed the tires to MT and immediately took it back into the jungle for another shoot, here it is loaded up;
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
It was a tough trip and the front suspension took a bashing so there were a few repairs needed afterwards, body spring  and upper arm bush needed replacing.  I'm heading back into the jungle next week but after that trip I intend to get the suspension changed with OME shocks and springs with a small lift. Then I need to get some decent rock sliders added. I'll hopefully post some pics from the next trip in action.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wilky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love how you say "Taking it into the jungle" so casually  Very Happy
JPisley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yeh I guess its a bit different where I live, we have been having lots of rain so the logging tracks should be pretty slippery when I go back in next week, I'll try and get some pics in action. Most of the entry roads have gravel now but there should be plenty of 'interesting' areas.
I wish I had time to change my suspension and lift it a couple of inches but that will have to wait.
JPisley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img]

Just back from the jungle, only managed one shot in action, most of the roads were like this once we were in the forest reserve but didn't actually need to drive around much, did about 40km on foot in 5 days up and over crazy elevations. Anyway, time to get some modifications done on her over the next couple of months as most of my assignments will be in other countries until December.
JPisley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 17:36    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Almost a year since my last post, finally had time to make a few more mods to big girl, replaced all the shocks and the rear coils, so raised about 2" all round, paint job on the arches, new rock sliders and replaced the wheels and tires, 285/75/R16. Need to raise the rear another inch and probably remove the tread on the rock sliders - not liking the silver tread![img][/img][img][/img]
zipnolan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking car.Good to know its a working car though
JPisley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, trying to arrange a few tweaks over the next couple of weeks, flip the ball joints, install 1.2 inch spacer to rear coils and really want to install a Aussie locker to the front as I find thats where the only weakness is when off-road in very wet hilly conditions.
The only problem is that I'm useless and trying to find a workshop here with Bighorn experience is very difficult - everyone loves their Toyota Landcruisers here, not many Bighorns being used off road.
JPisley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had some spacers installed to the rear springs and flipped the ball joints to the front, didn't need to adjust the torsion bar anymore. Removed the treads to the rocksliders but decided to paint them and put them back, then got a little crazy with the design!
Thinking of some custom drawers in the back.[img]http://[/img]
[img][/img]
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

This truck just keeps getting better and better.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

JPisley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found some more time to upgrade the trooper, had a ladder fabricated with a jerry can holder connected - decided the bottom of the ladder is redundant anyway as you can use the back step on the rear bumper to climb up;
Also managed a long drive up near the mountain but really didn't get it dirty enough, need to find some local tracks to practise the off-roading![img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Isuzu Canarias

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one. The vinil look great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: