2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Bleeding coolant on 3Ltr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 18:00    Post subject: Bleeding coolant on 3Ltr Reply with quote

Last time home my thermostat threw the towel in. Driving home at around 60 MPH and temp guage went all way down to cold (usualy sits at half way) and blower was blowing out cold air. I replaced the stat and filled up with 50/50 mix antifreeze. Engine ran up to temp fine. Topped up and thought all was OK.Since then I find that every time I check my cooloant level, the header tank is at the full mark and the radiator is showing the tops of the core.
I have emptied the header tank back in to the radiator (about 1 Ltr) and it brings the level back to just below the cap. I have done this several times now.
My first thoughts were the dreaded HG but if I run the engine with the cap off there are no signs of any bubbles etc. Before I drained the system and changed the stat my coolant level was ALLWAYS just below the rad cap and minimum in the header tank. Throughout all of this the temp guage is allways were it has been in the five years I have had it, Right in the middle and the heater is blowing HOT air as it allways has. The other thing now is that when the engine is on idle or low revs I can hear the coolant going through the heater matrix. My thoughts are that it still needs to purge the air out of the system. I have read various bits on here with people having real trouble bleeding the system but then I have read that Eithan recons they are dead easy and bleed themselves.
Any thoughts would, as usual be much apreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 18:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

they do bleed them selves theres no bleed nipples or anything, stats are common for failing but it sounds like your rad cap isn't allowing the water to be sucked back or theres an air leak in to the cooling system which allows air in rather than water from the header tank. check around the o/s/f/ corner of the engine as theres an o ring there that is common for leaking. mine occasionally has the rushing water sound but my o ring is just slightly damp but i'm waiting until i replace the head before i sort it out.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eithan, I thought about the sucking back to the rad, but where my small pipe from the rad cap goes on to the header tank it goes to a "Y" shape on the cap which is open to atmosphere on one end so I can't work out how it can suck back liquid rather than air from the open end?
I have not really had a good blast in it since changing the stat. Just the usual runs down to the horses and out with the dogs (a couple or three miles at a time)
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have changed the rad cap (blue print 1.1bar) and still no different. I have covered around 500 miles with 200 of them with the horse and trailor so the old girl has had to work. I still get the exact same amount of coolant (around 1 Ltr in the expansion tank). Still get the wooshing noise through the heater matrix(heater is still lovely and toastie though) The temp gauge allways sits in the middle (as it has done since I have had the vehicle).
It just bugs me as I never had this issue before I changed the stat!!!!!
pugbug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you open the cap in the morning is the coolant right to the top of the rad? If not then it's not sucking back the coolant.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I can see the top of the cores. tipping it back in fills it to the bottom of the neck.
I have checked eveything around the seal and tube for the expansion tank and all seems good. The rubber is still soft and apears to make a seal when I put it back on.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well nothings changed for the better. I now have the gauge going from normal to cold on a requalar basis as I am driving. First thing in the morning the gauge just starts to rise after around 1/4 mile then falls back, then it rises again and just start to get warm air through heater and then it goes cold again. It does this three or four times. Even when its up to normal temp the heater blows hot then cold and so on. Obviously its air in the system. When its running there  are bubbles blowing into the expansion tank. My first thought was HG but we have recently towed our Suffolk horse to Wales  and back covering over 1000 miles. I would have thought this would have killed it if it was the HG. I have changed the stat again (blueprint) as I thought I may have been unlucky and got a duff one but its made no difference.
I have checked all round for signs of a leak (even a stain) that may be letting air in as it cools down but can find nothing.
Its driving me nuts.
Any ideas chaps???
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

head gasket.or.head.can.you.get.a.sniff.test.done?
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eithan,
Thats allways in the back of my mind but i would have thought 1000 miles towing 3 ton up and down mountains would have given me grief.
I know my nose aint as sensitive as the sniff test but I cant smell anything other than antifreeze. I will check with my mate as he may have a sniffer.
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have had the sniff test done. Lots of bubbles coming through the fluid but NO colour change. It does seem to have settled down a bit lately Constant temperature (half way on gauge) heater lovely and toastie all the while and no fluctuation on the gauge when its running. I must say through out all of this it has NEVER ran hotter than normal which I would have expected with a cracked head or the gasket gone. So what next ???
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one in now that blows the coolant out the expansion bottle done a sniff test that was negative lots of bubbles in the expansion tank but doesn't over heat and no smoke and drives fine, first thing you know is the heater goes cold, took the plunge and took the head off and the gasket has gone you can see it plain as day I'll put a picture up later
Malcolm
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it looks like its thrown the towel in. Trouble starting and smoking like mad. It runs lumpy with a misfire then It clears after a while and runs fine but it does it every time now, cold or hot.
I work away and am only home at weekends at the moment so I realy dont have the time to fix it. We need a vehicle to tow the horse so I will need to get something pretty quik.
Looking at a Rodeo to replace it with as I am a great fan of Isuzu.
Its up for spares or repair if anyone on here is interested as I hate to see them scrapped.It has four good tyres the rears have barely covered 1000 miles. My mob no is 07733193119

It has given me 5 years of good service and will be sad to see her go but needs must.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: