QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper Wheels Suddenly Locked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocodile123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 14:59    Post subject: Trooper Wheels Suddenly Locked! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am a new member and wonder if anyone can help with the issue I have?
I recently bought a LWB Trooper Citation DT 2003 and I was leaving the builder's merchants turning left up the hill when it felt like the clutch had suddenly gone and the car stopped moving.
When I tried to pull away again it moved about 10 inches, then stopped with a jolt and felt like the clutch was slipping. I went back later and tried engaging 4WD and the dash light went on, I tried to move in low ratio but the same thing happened, it stopped with a jolt after 10 inches. My mate at the local garage went to tow it last night for me and said it would not move, wheels locked!

I think possibly 4WD was accidentally engaged when I was loading a length of wood into the car, but I am not sure, anyway I only drove about 150 yards when this happened.

Any ideas???
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 14:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

lock up if you did press the button by accident as you shouldn't use 4wd on tarmac in troopers as theres no centre diff, if you jack a rear wheel up it should spin and then the lock up is gone and it should come out of 4wd then and drive as normal
crocodile123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eithan, I jacked the back up and both rear wheels spin and did the same at the front and they don't, so I think the clutch has gone as I can hear a noisy bearing when the pedal is released and there is no real power to the rear wheels (just enough to spin, but I could stop them with my hands!). The wheels aren't locked after all, I was misinformed. Do you think clutch?
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the clutch won't lock the wheels, when it does go or more commonly the dmf goes it trys to move about an inch and theres no drive at all. you can put it in gear and take your foot off the clutch and it goes no where. the front wheels should spin if your not in 4wd,
Retro Pedro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immediate thought was DMF but if was in neutral surely the guy would have been able to tow it.
What about transfer box bind up if it was driven in 4WD on Tarmac. Maybe putting it in reverse and driving backwards to see if it will unlock?
crocodile123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man from the garage originally told me that the wheels were locked and tow truck driver wasn't able to tow it. but I later found out from the driver that he tried to drive it out of the parking space and it wouldn't move much. I went back this afternoon and lifted the back up and the wheels turned when I let the clutch out. So what is the DMF?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

dual mass flywheel, as i said when it goes if you try to drive it it won't move, you can put it in gear and take your foot right off the clutch and it just sits there. as a test if you give the engine a good rev and switch it off you can hear the flywheel spinning down.
if you putting it in to gear and the vehicle is stalling trying to move then it's not the dmf and something has locked it up
crocodile123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eithan, Been reading up on DMFs on here and it definitely sounds like the problem with mine. as I did notice quite a lot of engine rocking when I bought the car. Is it fairly straight forward for my MOT mechanic mate to do and where do you recommend we get the DMF and plate from?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won’t cause the engine to rock on troopers that’s more likely an injector gone as that’s quite common.
Not many places do aftermarket bits for troopers but I know milners 4x4 do them at near enough the same price as dealers but it is genuine.
Some people do buy a used one or a used one that’s been welded to make it a solid conversion but you have to change the plate then to a spring plate from the 3.1.
Personally I would stick to standard it will be expensive but it’s a fit and forget then as I’ve seen quite a few welded ones fail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: