QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Jump Leads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 23:47    Post subject: Jump Leads Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I'm after some jump leads for my 3 Litre Diesel, length wise at least 5 metres.
Iv'e been looking on Amazon and eebuygum and Iv'e seen some stating they are 50mm squared, current carrying capacity 3000 amps and most of them are copper coated aluminium.

Questions:

1/ Is copper coated aluminium any good compaired to copper through and through multi strand??

2/ Is 50mm squared  really capable of carrying 3000 amps??

3/ Can anyone on here suggest a make they use which are up to the job ie. they don't glow in the dark when using them Smile

Thanks guys for your comments

Clive
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 23:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

pighauler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

copper coated aluminium cable is pretty inferior and rated at less than solid copper so I doubt very much they would take 3000 amps, I don't think you would get 3000 amps through the clamps

I made my own 4mtr long set with 35mm welding cable and decent clamps, more than capable of starting just about anything, I don't think you would want to go much bigger than 35mm as they get pretty heavy
Clive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pighauler

Thank you for your reply, it does make me wonder how on earth they can get away with advertising them as being capable of carrying 3000 amps especially being aluminium.
I would have thought they’d be a molten mass on the floor with that kind of current going through them.
Yes, I’m inclined to agree with you 50mm in copper will be a darn site heavier than alum.

I’m hoping I get a few more comments everybody out there can’t be running around without a set of leads even if they only get used to help someone else out.

Thanks again for your reply

Clive
Kristoff Chamberlain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clive! Has the problem been resolved?
Clive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kristoff

I bought some copper coated ali. ones in the end, and at that length they are still heavy enough to lift.
Strange the shortage of replies to my question, I was thinking I'd be up at nights reading all the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: