2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Trooper 3.0TD engine issues - Tickover lumpy/ Poor Starting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordgaz

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 13:18    Post subject: Trooper 3.0TD engine issues - Tickover lumpy/ Poor Starting Reply with quote

Hi all

Re: Tropper Duty DT SWB MY2000
Following on from a previoud dual mass flywheel problem (swapped and fixed), the vehicle has never started perfectly - 4 or 5 seconds cranking to get it going, but once running, it was perfect.
More recently, it has been a little harder to start (sometimes starting, but sounding like it is only firing on 2 cylinders sort of sound and little or no response from the throttle) - Turn it off, and try again it will mostly start, but again more recently the tickover speed has been lower and it is close to stalling - Once hot, it was ok - Until today, when it started ok, but then stalled a few miles into the journey - Started again, (lumpy idle) and then stalled when coming to a junction.
Wife was driving it, so I had to go and rescue her. I cut the white wire (white wire trick) and managed to get it home ok without stalling (not good to drive these with the wire cut though I guess) - Trooper sat on the drive running just about ok I think -
I reconnected the white wire, and it again would not start well, and when it did, it stalled after a short time.

Reading the forums, there are a fair few possibilities for the reason, right?

ORPS (oil rail pressure sensor) - Would the vehicle even start at all if this was at fault?
SCV - (fuel suction control valve) - could it be related to this being faulty?
OPCV (oil pressure control valve)?

With the fact I can run, and when it does, it drives ok, what would you be thinking?

Cheers
Gaz
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 13:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

drew m

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be replacing orps sensor, you've more or less proved it's the culprit, go genuine don't buy Chinese of eebuygum.
Drew
lordgaz

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Drew
Many thanks for the reply.

Just to add, it is noted that when it starts, the revs are low, and cannot be raised much (not above 1000rpm) when sat in neutral with hand brake on, but put in the clutch and select first, it will rev - put it back in neutral again, and it will not.
Any ideas why this is?

I had thought that a faulty ORPS sensor would prevent it starting - So it can be faulty and still allow starting, right? I have no problem with that! - Happy to change this sensor -
The other issue is getting the vehicle to someone with Tech 2 to tell the ECU of the change of sensor - Could I disconnect the battery for a period of time and get the same result (eg codes get wiped)
What is the long term outcome if Tech 2 is not used to update the ECU of the new sensor?

(Ps - I am near Hereford if anyone nearby has such a diag tool)
drew m

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
That's a strange one on the revs, maybe someone else can comment on that, the orps sensor can cause variable problems including non start to running reasonably well, usually check engine light will come on you've identified it with your white wire trick though, it will run ok with direct replacement but is better coded to ecu for optimal performance via tech 2.
lordgaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew m wrote:
Hi,
That's a strange one on the revs, maybe someone else can comment on that, the orps sensor can cause variable problems including non start to running reasonably well, usually check engine light will come on you've identified it with your white wire trick though, it will run ok with direct replacement but is better coded to ecu for optimal performance via tech 2.

Cheers mate. I am not getting any check engine lights currently (though it did when I cut the wire!) - I will replace the sensor anyway, and hope it does the trick (or at least eliminates one possibility)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: