Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0 fuel problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:24    Post subject: 3.0 fuel problem Reply with quote

Hi I have recently bought a 3.0 lwb commercial and although it's a bit battered and neglected I'm impressed with it's towing capability and it's lack of rot (had land rovers for many years so I expect lot's of rot on a 18 year old truck).

Just over a week ago I started it to move it around the yard and it burst into life as normal but then just cut out, it was then difficult to restart, when it did start it was ticking over erratically, cutting out and wouldn't rev at all. I left it idling roughly for a few minutes and when I came back it revved OK and I was able to move it, since then it has been difficult to start and has this problem intermittently.

So yesterday I changed the fuel filter - I think it hasn't been changed for a while, it was coated internally with fine black sludge and the diesel I poured out of it contains many fine particles and quite a few big ones. Since buying the truck I have only used about 2 tanks full of diesel, mostly while towing 2 tons or more.

Changing the filter didn't make a difference but taking it to Morrisons and putting 25 litres of fresh diesel into a fairly empty tank seemed to "fix" it.

This morning it started OK but wouldn't idle or rev up and soon cut out, on the second attempt it started, idled and revved fine.

I have read on this forum about the injector and orps problems that can affect these trucks but I am inclined to think that my problem is primarily to do with dirty fuel but also that this may have caused other damage, what else do I need to do or other checks should I make to make this a reliable truck again? are the pipes on top of the tank accessible for inspection?

I intend to do a engine oil and filters change this week with a fully synth 5W30 as I understand this is important for proper operation of the injectors. looking at the service history I expect the existing oil to be of the correct grade but very likely to be well  overdue a change.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

try the white wire trick in the sticky section first
andy46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I wasn't sure that the white wire trick was appropriate as the car does start and run - the non starting, cutting out and rough idle are all intermittent (which doesn't suggest a permanently blocked fuel supply either)

but it's a simple enough thing to do so I did it.

I cut the wire and the car started easily 4 times - I then reconnected it and the car started easily again. I then attempted to move the car (having left it running) and it cut out, it restarted easily and I was able to move it to where I intended to do the oil/filter change. Then it started to rain heavily so I moved to something else.

I didn't attempt to move the car with the wire cut as the sticky warns against doing so. However I did notice that with the wire cut there is significantly more noise from the engine, like an injector knock I assosciate with DI diesels (sounded like a landrover tdi). The noise isn't bad but noticeable and goes away when the wire is connected, I'm guessing that's normal but mention it in case it isn't.

What sort of damage do I risk by disconnecting the wire and trying to drive the car?

Looking at the limited service history I have (bunch of dog eared receipts - no book) it appears to have had the ORPS and the injectors replaced by isuzu in 2014 at 86,000 miles and has now done 137.000
andy46

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here's an update for anyone with a similar problem searching for clues:

I tried cutting the white wire but didn't feel the results were conclusive - sometimes it started and ran OK with the wire connected sometimes it was difficult to start with it disconnected and vice versa but if it wasn't starting with the wire connected, disconnecting it seemed to get it going. Having read the guide on here replacing the orps seemed a fairly simple job so I bought a used "tested" one for £25 and fitted it - sorted - thank you.

The knocking noise I previously mentioned would be more accurately described as clatter and it was there particularly when "blipping" the throttle, always when the wire was cut.

I had also not tightened the new fuel filter fully - another fraction of a turn with a filter cup has stopped the very slight leak I had there, this can't have helped but the initial problem was there before i changed the filter.
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise is due to the fueling being wrong as it thinks it has max oil pressure of 27.9 mpa they all do it when the wires disconnected or the sensor goes open circuit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: