QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New member looking for a Trooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesbil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26    Post subject: New member looking for a Trooper Reply with quote

Hi all,
just joined and looking for advice.

I'm based in Ireland and looking for an older trooper. I gather the 3.1 is the one to go for. I like the look of the SWB but would also consider a 5 seat crew cab.
I enjoy restorations and have done a couple of Series Land Rovers, Pajero JR and I build campervans. So I dont mind doing a bit of work if needed.
Are there any areas in particular to look at, places that rust/fall off?

Seen a good looking 97 SWB 3.1 but it has 230k on the clock.

Any advice welcome,
Thanks
James
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Jamesbil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a choice of a '97 3.1 swb with 230K or a '99 3.0 swb with 165k, '99 is a bit cheaper but not as nice.
iverjohnston

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 23:05    Post subject: Looking for a Trooper. Reply with quote

DoneDeal.
There are about 100 ads up for "Isuzu Trooper" at the moment.
d12
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the 3.1 , easier and cheaper to work on ,, check steering box for leaks , and sure if your around cars in general you will know what to look out for
Jamesbil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Anywhere in particular they rust? Any wiring or sensor issues?

2 I'm looking at, one 97 3.1 swb looks kinda ready to drive but 260 ish on the clock, another about half the price, 97 3.1 160 on the clock but needs 2 wings (I'd probably spray the whole thing) and a general tidy inside, carpets etc.
iverjohnston

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

They rust at the back end of the sills, starting up where the rear radius arms are connected to the chassis,  comes bubbling out or the rear wheel arches too.
More critically, the tubular chassis crossmember at the rear axle can disintegrate, chassis ends where the tow bar brackets are bolted, and one I had rusted so badly at the front right chassis rail that the rail broke where the steering box was bolted on. Front crossmember behind the bumper can rust away completely.
 Any that were Dinitrol TuffCoated from new ( or early on) seem to have survived best.

Wiring issues are generally non existent on 3.1 versions.
Alternators can be a bit short-lived, and starter motors  occasionally die.
Funny wiring connections to the towing light socket can cause strange things to happen, cause most people just splice into the loom instead of using the proper connector.
Jamesbil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info thanks! And are chassis parts easy to get or cheap, like landy parts?
Also are they easy to pimp? For example I like the look of the wheel arch trims on the 3.0 but can they be fitted to a 3.1?

Total trooper noob here in case you haven't guessed..
iverjohnston

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chassis parts, no idea if you can get replacement weld-in section from Isuzu, but if you can, I'd imagine they'd cost the same as a complete spare Trooper...
Don't buy one with a seriously rusty chassis...
A decent car repair place can patch up chassis, but again you're looking at a bill of half the price of another Trooper.
Pump them? Well you can fit 3.0 front end ( wings, grill, bonnet)to a 3.1, but remember that the 3.0 is a "wide track".
The axles / front wishbones are about 4 inches wider than the older model, so your3.1on standard rims will look silly without spacers.
People add snorkel kits, billboard, winch bumpers etc, and tint the glass etc
Although, as you are in Ireland ( South?) You'll mainly be finding commercial ones with the rear glass replaced or blacked out.
3.0 diesels need more careful maintainance, engine wise.
Fully synthetic oil, both engine filters changed every 5000 miles, and close attention for signs of diesel getting into the sump/ diesel getting into the coolant/ water getting into the diesel.
All are signs that you need to get the rubber O rings on both the injectors and the injector sleeves replaced.
Then you will find that most garages will refuse to even lift the bonnet of a 3.0 ....
    There is a world of threads here and on other Isuzu and 4x4 forums about this...
Jamesbil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great info thanks. Yes in Southern Ireland all the swb do seem to be commercial. So are the back panels metal or glass with vinyl?
This is one, https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1997-isuzu-trooper-3-1-commercial-swb-1-owner/26286525
iverjohnston

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends who did the conversion.
If Pino Harris ( the importer for Ireland) did it, the glass was replaced by some kind of tough plastic panels, diy conversions could be steel panels or blacked out glass with black nylon carpet glued to the inside.
Some people got away with leaving the glass as normal, which is great for visibility at junctions and when reversing a trailer.
Jamesbil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few 3.0 converted to 3.1, thoughts on these?
iverjohnston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works well enough, depending on the lad doing the conversion.
 Easier now to get a really sound 3.0 chassis.
Was a chap down in Westmeath did a top class job,  transplanted the entire 3.1engine and gearbox, dash and loom into the 3.0, but by now it's not really economic and he just puts in the 3.1engine now.
 All sorts of bodies employed by some "converters" with strange wiring, extra heater plug switches, push buttons etc, and usually no rev counter.
 Find a good running 3.0 and maintain it really well, and it'll last years.
More comfortable than a D Max if you don't need back seats.
Jamesbil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutch on a 3.1 a big deal to do? Seen one but it the clutch is starting to slip.
Are they DMF or solid?

Also can you select 4x4 on the fly or is it a stop and select job? Do they have freewheeling hubs as standard?

Thanks
iverjohnston

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.1 has on ordinary type flywheel.
No worse than any other 4x4 to do.
Yes, you can put the 3.1 into 4 wheel drive "high" when driving, don't do it while wheels spinning on mud or ice though.
FWH not standard ( that I know of)
Jamesbil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been trying to find the load length in the swb and lwb if anyone knows it off hand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: