QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Torsion bar been 'wound up' to raise front good or bad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intransit

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 23:22    Post subject: Torsion bar been 'wound up' to raise front good or bad? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Recently bought a 96 trooper 3.1 manual 4wd shift stick. Straight away it's turned into yet another project, had hoped for a nice easy straight 4x4 to use as woods tractor! Rolling Eyes
Anyway I have been taken by it, so project Isuzu it is!

I have found problems with CV's and intermittent 4wd, and v.clanky when working, that I'm investigating.
This question is about the torsion bar. The seller said he'd 'wound up' the front suspension to lift front equal to that of the lifted rear. While looking under it I noticed it's, what I'd call torsion bar suspension, and there is a large bolt at the far end of torsion bar, away from the wheel end. This has obviously been wound in an inch or more judging from the clean thread showing on the other end of the bolt. Head of the bolt faces the ground.

My questions are?

Is this conventional?

Does it contribute to extra wear, stress on CV's 4wd? It sits very high.

Can/ should I wind bolt back out, how does this bolt adjust torsion bar, can't work it out by simple observation.

Normally a lorries and transit boy, no experience of Isuzu but I'm getting the feeling that's likely to change! Laughing

Thanks in advance, sites posts on 4wd have been great reading, hope someone can help.

Arran Intransit
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 23:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 18:48    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar been 'wound up' to raise front good or bad? Reply with quote

Intransit wrote:
Hi All,
Recently bought a 96 trooper 3.1 manual 4wd shift stick. Straight away it's turned into yet another project, had hoped for a nice easy straight 4x4 to use as woods tractor! Rolling Eyes
Anyway I have been taken by it, so project Isuzu it is!

I have found problems with CV's and intermittent 4wd, and v.clanky when working, that I'm investigating.
This question is about the torsion bar. The seller said he'd 'wound up' the front suspension to lift front equal to that of the lifted rear. While looking under it I noticed it's, what I'd call torsion bar suspension, and there is a large bolt at the far end of torsion bar, away from the wheel end. This has obviously been wound in an inch or more judging from the clean thread showing on the other end of the bolt. Head of the bolt faces the ground.

My questions are?

Is this conventional?

Does it contribute to extra wear, stress on CV's 4wd? It sits very high.

Can/ should I wind bolt back out, how does this bolt adjust torsion bar, can't work it out by simple observation.

Normally a lorries and transit boy, no experience of Isuzu but I'm getting the feeling that's likely to change! Laughing

Thanks in advance, sites posts on 4wd have been great reading, hope someone can help.

Arran Intransit

yes it's the normal way to lift the front

yes as it puts the c.v's at an angle they are not designed to run constantly at as well as eating the gaiters, normally 2" is the recommended lift but some people do go to 3"

depends if you need the extra height but remember to do the rear as well or it will look like a dragster!
Intransit

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Eithan,
I'll wind the front down lower as it's higher than I need I think. Ill leave the back alone, dragster looks or not! Gotta change CV's and perhaps driveshafts and get 4wd working properly so don't want them to wear out super quick with a large lift it currently has.
P.s The great suspension lift essay Stickey write is great, I couldn't get the 'torsion bar' link to work, hence my asking.
Great forum.
Many thanks Arran
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: