All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

H e e e e l l l lp p p p p!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roby

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 14:54    Post subject: H e e e e l l l lp p p p p! Reply with quote

Hello fellow Isuzu people,

This is the first time on this forum and I have sort you out for some hands on advice. I have a 'J' reg 3.1 TD LWB Trooper Duty (first of the new rounded shaped model) that I picked up some time ago. It has run just fine for about 6 months and then suddenly stopped charging. I have 2 large batteries and I have replaced the blue relay but to no avail. Every now and then, it starts charging again and on one occasion it carried on charging for about a week before it stopped again. The last time it charged for about half an hour then quit.

I have been examining the wiring and find that there are 3 relays just to the left of the brake cylinder and these appear to play some role in the charging circuit as well as the blue relay...but I don't know what they are for. I would hate to spend money on another alternator if it turns out to be the wiring. It doesn't help matters either when I can't find a manual for my vehicle and the one I got from Chiltern appears to cover every other model except mine!

The fact that it charges intermitantly seems to indicate that the alternator (one with a vaccum pump) is working ok...anyone had this problem and solved it?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 14:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club Very Happy

It could be the regulator playing up, i think the only way to check is a meter on the alternator when it is playing up.

Ps. i spend a lot of time at poulton and cleveleys in the summer Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

the three relays you refer to are to do with the quick on start system nothing to do with charging
the way to find out if the alternator is charging properly is put avolt meter across the battery terminals run the engine should read between 13.6and 14.7 any differenceand the alternator is u/s
more x 4

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as a nice aside to this,i have a chap who rebuilds alts for members for 65 quid plus postage Wink
Roby

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks guys...!

Markymoan ... small world, eh? I grew up in Poulton and my Dad is still there.

I think I'll pull the plug out and get a multimeter on the terminals to see exactly what it's doing. I just wasn't sure if the 3 relays were maskerading as external regulators because when I look at the wiring, the lead from the alternator does not appear to go directly to either battery.
Are the vaccum pump alternators definitely internally regulated?

Grandad, (that does sound funny Laughing ) what on earth is a 'qwick on start' system and is that what the Q.W.S relay is for?

more x 4 ... I think I may need that chaps phone number. That sounds very reasonable indeed. Thanks!

I'll post my findings when I have multimetered it!

Oh, another conunderum for you...there is a rocker switch next to the gear shifter and it is marked up with and engine symbol with an electrical zap. When I switch it on it sometimes lights up green to show it's on shortly after starting and then goes off after a while. Sometimes it doesn't come on at all. Any ideas as to what this is? I reckon it's some pre-heater of some sort...and definitely an original piece of equipment and when it is on, it affects the idle speed.

Once again, many thanks!

Rob.
bigbaldbloke

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last bit sounds like http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4054
Philp

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thats the infamous fast warm up switch, only works below 5C and closes a flap in the xhaust and one in the intake to basically strangle the engine making it work harder and thus warm up quicker. The flaps are prone to sticking unless used regularly and so most people (myself included) don't use them.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
more x 4

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

if any member needs a rebuild,post it to me and i'll do the rest. done loads on pocuk,never had one come back(including the mud monsters) mine has been two years since rebuild,and it survived langdale Very Happy
Roby

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
Yep thats the infamous fast warm up switch, only works below 5C and closes a flap in the xhaust and one in the intake to basically strangle the engine making it work harder and thus warm up quicker. The flaps are prone to sticking unless used regularly and so most people (myself included) don't use them.

Ah! That's what it's for...right, gonna disconnect that thing while the flaps aint stuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Electrics / wiring / lights etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: