QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

bighorn auto problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
extremeshep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 18:38    Post subject: bighorn auto problem Reply with quote

Hi, i am a newbie.
can anyone help please? i have a bighorn 3.1 TD
The problem i have is when driving from cold, all is fine , after about 10 mins , the gearbox feels like its in the wrong gear ,like its pulling away in 3rd gear from a stop sign.
Any idea`s ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 18:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, i know naff about autos but i'm sure someone will be along soon.  Very Happy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgggghhhh, the dreaded 3.1 Bighorn Auto Box - more worms from the can eh?  Shocked

"Feels like it's pulling away in third gear from a stop sign"

Wow, that sounds very American.  Where are you Shep?

Just kidding. Very Happy

Right, I don't understand how you think it could be in third gear. What are the exact symptoms when you tread on the throttle from a standstill? Does the motor load up and there's no acceleration? When you are moving at normal urban speed does the box change up and down OK?

Give us as much info as you can and we'll try and give you an answer.... Wink

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
extremeshep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, i`m over in manxland(I.O.M).
It drives fine for ten minutes, then when you stop at a stop sign and try to start off again, it`s just flat and sluggish as if the gearbox is in the wrong gear, like 3rd or 4th. as if stuck some how. it eventually picks up speed, but doesn`t feel like it`s changing gear.  fluid is clean and level is spot on.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it could be the motor misbehaving rather than the box? All the auto problems we normally get are the box's tendency to shift gear too much and over sensitive to throttle pressure. Yours seems to the the opposite.

Well, it could be electronic and there is a range sensor located on the gearbox that can sometimes screw up. The unit is located on the side of the transmission (drivers side) just forward of center. This can get bunged up with grease and get dirty contacts but i wouldn't advise messing with it unless you know something about what you're doing. I would be tempted in the first instance to take it to a transmission expert on the island and get a diagnostic.

The box is alleged to be the same or same family as the AW-40 found in a Volvo 960.

extremeshep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats an interesting thought. so if it was the engine playing up, any idea what might be the cause of it ? it would tie in, cos the engine would be warmed up by then too.
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, couldn't tell without driving it. Like I say, take it to a trans shop and just get them to have a look at it. At least they'll tell you whether it's the box or the motor...

It's an unusual "gearbox" question that's for sure...

sean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. A newbie to the forum. Mine's a 98 model 3.2 v6 auto. Done approximately 245,000 kilos to date. Had the auto gearbox completely overhauled at 200,000kms as it seemed to be freeing itself. This was in feb 2005.  Trouble now is, the auto clutch seems to be slipping when you accelerate hard from a standstill. "Check Transmission" light flashes. Not all the time yet as it's in it's beginning stages. Has anyone here experienced this problem. Whats causing this? Can't check the oil level as there is no dipstick or window. Seriously contemplating on switching the gearbox to a manual one but the problem is there are no manual gearboxes here in KL (malaysia) for this model. All the V6s came equipped as autos. The diesel motors had manuals but i recon the housing is different. What other gearboxes can i fit in or is this a minor oil top up problem?
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dipstick??  Shocked

There has to be!

Right side of engine (as you look at it with the hood up) low down towards the back by the firewall. Check the level with motor idling in Park. Look for a tube which the stick fits into. Maybe someone didn't put it back in???? If so, the fluid may have been blown out of the tube!

I am happy to stand corrected but unless the motor and gearbox is a transverse model sharing a common oil supply (nah!  Confused ) there has to be a dipstick but I am ready to be corrected if anyone on here knows better!

Dave69

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never known an auto box on a 4x4 or large saloon not to have a dipstick. the dipstick is checked when the engine is warm and the instructions are usually stamped on the stick. small auto cars don't have dipsticks as they don't generate that much heat and are normally filled to set proceedures like a normal box and diff. i.e fill it till the oil comes out the hole on the side
Grandad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

the auto box onthe 3.2 petrol enginenever had a dipstick on the later models the box has a level  and filler plug underneath and a drain plug just below it
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well blow me down, i learn something every day on this place  Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandad wrote:
the auto box onthe 3.2 petrol enginenever had a dipstick on the later models the box has a level  and filler plug underneath and a drain plug just below it

Thats the one. Have tried draining the oil from the box before through but filling it back was a close to impossible task. Only managed to drain about a litre and a half. Thats was it.

So back to the slipping clutch problem, any pointers?
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremeshep dude!  Laughing

Just had a brainwave, on some models there is a "Winter" mode switch to the rear of the gearlever. If this is operated, the vehicle will drive off in 3rd gear. This is to provide traction on icy or snowy roads. (what were they thinking? this is a 4X4 vehicle!)

There should be a warning light to show when this is enabled. Could be something to do with this function if you have it.

extremeshep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers hard1, i`ll have a mooch around, see can i find it, i haven`t noticed any warning light though, also read it could be that little box on the side of the gear box, it gets gummed up, so if i dont find the switch your on about, thats my next plan of attack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: