2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Info on manual/autolocking hubs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NealF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 18:28    Post subject: Info on manual/autolocking hubs Reply with quote

Hi, I own a 95 Bighorn with manual front hubs. If I leave these engaged will it adversely effect my fuel economy? My previous vehicle was a Trooper which had auto lock hubs.  Would it be advisable to change my bighorn to these if I need to use 4WD regularly and if so how difficult are they to fit (i.e. would I be better getting a mechanic to do them?).  Thanks. Embarassed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 18:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Welcome  Very Happy

You are lucky to have manual hubs, they are far better than auto ones.
Far more reliable and when you turn them off you can use low range to move heavy trailers without slipping the clutch or winding the gearbox up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,  Firstly thanks for the welcome!  The reason for the enquiry is because my better half uses the Bighorn to tow her horse in and out of fields in a trailer at the weekends.  Stopping in the road to switch the front hubs to lock is therefore not ideal.  That is why I am trying to get a fuller understanding of the implications of leaving the front wheels on lock for fuel consumption (whilst she is driving it) and ultimately the possibility of changing them to auto lock hubs.  We've no intention for "serious" mud plugging (boring I know, but there we are!!).  Any information would therefore be useful.

Many thanks,

Neal. Very Happy
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes forget to unlock mine, drove for a week once  Embarassed
If you are towing a horsebox then i dont think you would even notice the difference in mpg.
But as you say, auto hubs are very convenient and you would probably get more for the manual ones than you would pay for some second hand auto ones, i bet theres people here that would gladly swap hubs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission / 4WD All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: