2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Find the ariel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenagh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 19:37    Post subject: Find the ariel Reply with quote

Very dumb question on my bighorn 3.1 import there is not regular ariel mast. I get ok but not brilliant FM reception on a JVC unit that was put in by the dealer. I don't get any AM reception.

I was thinking it was just a replacement ariel that was needed but I'm not sure were the current unit is situated ? do they form part of the rear quarter windows ?

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 19:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

MartQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally it's an electric powered telescopic mast aerial mounted on the left hand front wing (on R/H/D models).
rabbitt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartQ wrote:
Normally it's an electric powered telescopic mast aerial mounted on the left hand front wing (on R/H/D models).

spot on there , if you undo the clips to the arch liner you will find the mountings and in some cases a duel adapter depending on whitch type you have on ?

i changed mine to a vauxhall astra wing mount for about £12 , its not electric but has no problem with any signals.
Lenagh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left hand wings smooth so it appears to have been removed ? I'll remove the arch liner tomorrow and see if anything existed under there at some point.

The reason I ask is that I was getting no AM reception and not the greatest FM reception. After removing the head unit today I've found that the company who fitted a UK spec head unit have bodged an adaptor on to the FM ariel connection at the back of the head (there is two available ariel wires to plug into the head unit. One for AM and another for FM).

There is no way to plug both into the head unit so what they have done is opted to give me FM reception only. The adaptor they have used is not properly fitted and is loose with electrical tape holding it together.

I think what I'll be doing is fitting a UK spec ariel. Which incorporates both into one feed.

I'm guessing the double din jap radios had two inputs one for the AM and another for FM.

I was confused also as I couldn't find a blessed thing ariel wise. I just assumed it was in the rear quarter windows but now I wonder if these are heater elements ?

Grandad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

later bighorns are fitted with aerials as you correctly surmised in the rear quarter windows
MartQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. Didn't know about the quaterlight aerials.

If you have a jap radio fitted, they operate on a different frequency range which may be why your reception s no good.
Lenagh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, a little update, to resolve the issue I got hold of a 12 quid aerial from halfords and drilled the drivers wing and fitted it.

I now have lovely AM to listen to radio 5 (rantathon radio) and also have much clearer FM Smile

So combination of things with those rear quarter arials. You need two inputs for AM / FM and it also would appear the amps were knackered.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: