QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

"93" Bighorn SE 3.1TD auto (jap import)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 18:09    Post subject: "93" Bighorn SE 3.1TD auto (jap import) Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am a new member to your site and have just bought the above with 60,000 (100,000 km) miles on the clock. The overall condition of the motor is excellent, but I wonder if any of you have any hints or experiences of what to look out for as I have never owned a Isuzu before.
I am fairly lucky in that I have all the owner documentation service history etc for the car while it was in Japan.

Are there any potential "skeletons" in the very large rear of these vehicles that I might need to be aware of Question Laughing

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards
Kev
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 18:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

hotelkilo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on buying such a great motor Wink i've had my 92 3.1td isuzu lotus bighorn for 4 months now and cant get enough of driving it - fantastic vehicle Very Happy

while the uk troopers are without question a top vehicle i think the jap imports are a much better s/h buy in terms of both overall spec and perhaps more importantly vehicle condition and low mileage. my 10 yr old bighorn had 79000km (50k miles) on the clock when i bought it and i have no reason to doubt it, the car is imaculate inside and out. im even getting fluff from all the carpets as if the car were new. (and i bought my car at the docks from the importers not from a forecourt so i got a nice price, about 1 - 1.5k cheaper than i've seen elsewhere)

as for tips etc, well im not a mechanic by any means but i would suggest you have the timing belt changed at an early opertunity unless you know it's history that well (mines booked in for nxt week) and find someone who you trust to work on your vehicle and have it serviced as regulary as you can afford Wink

the only trooper/bighorn probs that i've read about on other forums seem to be fairly well prevented by proper regular servicing. oh and some of the td's burn a bit of oil but thats no issue if you keep an eye on the levels. (mine isnt so far)

and if your mechanic ohhs and arrhhs about the cost of parts for 'grey imports' just check out some of the online dealers, prices on parts aren't too bad.

thats about all i know m8, hopefully others will post too cos i too could do with some tips,

meanwhile enjoy it, as the fishwife says "it's big and it's horny" :p
kev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotelkilo wrote:
congrats on buying such a great motor Wink i've had my 92 3.1td isuzu lotus bighorn for 4 months now and cant get enough of driving it - fantastic vehicle Very Happy

while the uk troopers are without question a top vehicle i think the jap imports are a much better s/h buy in terms of both overall spec and perhaps more importantly vehicle condition and low mileage. my 10 yr old bighorn had 79000km (50k miles) on the clock when i bought it and i have no reason to doubt it, the car is imaculate inside and out. im even getting fluff from all the carpets as if the car were new. (and i bought my car at the docks from the importers not from a forecourt so i got a nice price, about 1 - 1.5k cheaper than i've seen elsewhere)

as for tips etc, well im not a mechanic by any means but i would suggest you have the timing belt changed at an early opertunity unless you know it's history that well (mines booked in for nxt week) and find someone who you trust to work on your vehicle and have it serviced as regulary as you can afford Wink

the only trooper/bighorn probs that i've read about on other forums seem to be fairly well prevented by proper regular servicing. oh and some of the td's burn a bit of oil but thats no issue if you keep an eye on the levels. (mine isnt so far)

and if your mechanic ohhs and arrhhs about the cost of parts for 'grey imports' just check out some of the online dealers, prices on parts aren't too bad.

thats about all i know m8, hopefully others will post too cos i too could do with some tips,

meanwhile enjoy it, as the fishwife says "it's big and it's horny" :p

Cheers for that, they certainly are a big motor. I know that the timing has been done as the garage I got it from has got to reset the t-belt light, as well as sort out a small power steering leak. Other than that, I am quite pleased with it, no nasty smoke or anything like that. It does have a turbo timer fitted which I am still trying to get to grips with because the paperwork is all in Japanese, but other than that, all's well (so far) what is the average price for servicing any ideas?
hotelkilo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again

well i've not been using my turbo timer as i was under the impression they were 'frowned upon' in this country. ie you're not supposed to leave a car running with no keys in it.

after a long journey/when i have a hot engine, i just let the engine tick-over for about 1 min before i turn it off - has the same effect of re-lubing the turbo unit before shutting the engine off.

hth
Lossie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first Trooper in Jan '03 so here's a fee tips based on my experience so far...

1. Keep the brakes well serviced. It's a heavy beast and its possible to drive it and think your in a regular car. You certainly dont want a brake failure at 70!!

2. Check for underbody corrosion - especially if u live by the coast as the salt in the air will eat it for breakfast.

3. Do all the things you would normally do with a turbo engine (as previously listed)

4. Be careful when closing the larger rear door - the button that de-activates the light (and therefore the alarm) is very flimsy and has caught me out a few times, with the alarm going off in the middle of the night!!

5. It will corner at a surprisingly high speed and will not tip over unless you make sudden or large movements with the wheel. Ideally, in any vehicle, you should not brake on a bend but these are not ideal roads...

6. In older (120k + ) engines, change oil and filter every 5000 and use the best oil you can afford, ideally 100% synth. Make sure of this when the garage do it for you.

7. Finally, NEVER NEVER crack the rear bumper/rear lights. You will not believe the coast of repair.

Happy motoring, let me know if you have any points/tips to swap. Matt.
kev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Matt,

Much appreciated, I will keep my eye on the rear bumper as they are not the easiest of motors to slide into a parking slot at the shops!

regards
Kev Very Happy
hotelkilo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bighorns dont have lights in the rear bumper Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: