QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Legal Tax free Vegetable oil as fuel?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hornomatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dead right Frisp. SCO does attract the higher rate of duty at 40 something a litre. Also if VOSA do there occassional stop and inspect routine as they have done down here then if they find that your tank contains something other than regulag diesel, you will have to prove where that fuel has come from and what duty has been paid on it.

In the rare occassion where this has not been possible (to prove where the fuel has come from) vehicles have been siezed and sometimes crushed for the use of fuel without paid duty. IIRC this happened a few times in wales a few years ago when lots of people where buying up all the veg oil from the local supermarkets and putting it straight in their tanks.

Also, with reards to the HMCE guidlines as Frisp rightly pinted out, there are VERY strict guidlines as to what qualifies for bio-diesel. For the regular home produced B100 (100% bio-diesel) that has not been washed, filtered and had the methanol extracted, would not gain the EN14214 for Bio-Auto Fuels, EN 14213 for Bio-Heating Fuels or ASTM D6751-01 for Biodiesel (B100). Without these testing levels the fuel is not up to standard and does not attract the lower rate of ruty.

Also, without this filtering, washing etc, there are particles in the fuel that may cause the fuel system to rot, clog, or work inefficiently. With care B100 can be used in most vehicles.

A lot of local councils and companies like Ocado use B100 in their vehicles all the time, which does not invalidate their warranties. To be honest if you took a vehicle that has been running B100 for a while to a most mechanics, they would not even know what was in the tank. They will notice that the vehicle smokes less and runs quieter though.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

mikeeboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisp
Not too sure about SVO attracting duty (below2500)
Even the beeb don't think it does Kickstart for biofuel drivers
DJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this from the above link:
Last Updated: Tuesday, 10 July 2007, 15:50 GMT 16:50 UK  

E-mail this to a friend   Printable version  

Kickstart for biofuel drivers  
By Simon Gompertz
Working Lunch  

Vegetable oil can be bought and used for as little as 55 pence a litre
Vegetable powered cars received a turbo-charged boost this month after fuel duty was axed for some drivers.
Tax inspectors used to be the scourge of biofuel enthusiasts who use vegetable oil or biodiesel to power their cars.

Even if the drivers begged for used cooking oil from chip shops and restaurants, cleaned it themselves and then used it to fill up their tanks, they still had to volunteer to pay fuel duty.

But now the duty regime is being shaken up because hundreds of small payers are clogging up the system.

Annual threshold

Any garden-shed producers who refine less than 2,500 litres of biofuel a year will be exempt from fuel duty, currently 28 pence a litre for biofuels and 48 pence for diesel or petrol.

And it's the end of the road for the Frying Squad, tax hoods who staked out supermarkets and sniffed exhaust fumes, looking for drivers buying cheap cooking oil from supermarkets and pouring it straight into their tanks, duty-free.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs confirmed to Working Lunch that vegetable oil bought from retailers as fuel will be exempt from duty, as long as drivers don't exceed the 2,500 litre annual threshold.

Well there you have it.
It's now down to choice,
Regarding gumming up engines, corroding fuel lines, lots of talk and statements about it.
Has anyone got proof, real working experience of the problem.
If so, get it on here, please don't spout on about what you've heard or read, I would like to hear facts not opinions on this particular subject.
thanks

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
CelticWitch
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when we talk about gumming up the engine, are we talking literaly about sticky goo everywhere or a coke build up, cos I recall decoking my early cars on a regular basis, in fact it was my dad decoking one of his old cars and me helping that got me started as a petrolhead.

as for rotting seals, can these be relaced?

There's them that can and gets on with it and them that can't and just talks about it!
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

The facts are , newer cars running on 100% SVO will damage the injector pump and the sensors will go daft because the cetane is wrong,, older cars i would say 50/50 derv/svo as svo its more viscouse and can cause starting problems.
As for biodiesel, i dont have a clue on the new cars as i hired a VW/Skoda and it stated "no bio fuel" inside the filler flap.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, i dont have a problem running 50/50 in mine  Very Happy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:

I presume skippy's veg oil was previously used for frying spring rolls??  bounce
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigcolbee wrote:
markymoan wrote:

I presume skippy's veg oil was previously used for frying spring rolls??  bounce

Errrr yehhh, it was used errrr (one min)

It was used to stop rust in the fuel tank of a car  read

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this week chucked in 20litres of veggie oil in the tank, running approx 70-30%.
What i have found so far is......................

Cold start in a morning i disapear in a cloud of smelly smoke (engine never smoked before)
Out on the road its a fair bit quicker through the gears and has a little more top end power Shocked

So thats a plus and a minus for the veggie oil, but with all that smoke im not sure i want to continue using it although the extra power is very nice Very Happy

im more confused now than i was before i used the veggie oil Rolling Eyes  Embarassed  Embarassed

Cheers

Mark

Mac Challenge 2009 Team 01
DJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Guys, just got some pure Rapeseed oil to try @£0.50/ lt.
I tell you how it goes.
The Tesco veg oil is starting to spiral. Confused

Dmax single cab pick up 2.5 biturbo
Monty666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 23:35    Post subject: It is legal and it works fine!!! Reply with quote

Hi another newby!
I run a '97 Vauxhall Monterey on 100% bio and it runs great.
The legal requirements are that you can manufacture up to 2500ltrs per year for your own private use without having to pay duty.
The engine runs far smoother than on normal fossil diesel, I had the engine running when I first filled the tank and you hear any diesel 'clatter' disapear as soon as the fuel reaches the engine (and no it hadn't stopped).
The cetane rating of properly produced bio is quite a lot higher than normal diesel and I seem to get a couple more miles to the gallon.
As bio has a natural cleaning effect you have to change the fuel filter after a couple of hundred miles as any gum/varnish depoits from the tank fuel lines will be semi disolved and deposited there.
As my bio is made from new oil and has no chunks of chips in it the filter change period can be extended to twice the usual interval, the engine oil looks more like that of a petrol engine, no black carbon deposits.
I still have winter to get through so will probably have to use a blend to prevent waxing of the filters but as its costing me 50p litre at the moment I can probably live with it.... Very Happy
REMF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 15l rapeseed oil in & filled up with diesel.

Absolutely no change at all.

Will up the % next time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 19:18    Post subject: svo Reply with quote

Hi

just putting in my experience

1800cc diesel fiesta 2 years on filtered used  oil up to 75% inc winter mix with derv carried on running for 2 more years with no engine probs

2.3 scorpio again 2 years this time with up to 100% after starting on diesel (snow on the ground ) again no probs

3.1 trooper  1995  50% svo (new) 18 months with no probs .

All these vehicles gave no problems were quieter and appeared to have an increase in power all were fitted with an easilly accessible cheap to change cav filter (ford short type)

PM me if you want more imfo   and any parts inc filters for waste veg  oil

The only problem was you fancied fish and chips aftter a drive ....

Oh and all the vehicles were owned by a mate in another place.........
storm-trooper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running between 50 - 100% veg depending on how cheeky I want to be! - but generally about 50%

if I run close to 100% it starts fine - just a little bit knocky first thing.

I've been using veg for about a year now and it seems fine - emmisions down on the MOT and no change in power.

Don't get worried about all the scaremongery about "it will blow up your diesel" - ummm - where did this come from - probably the same people who are trying to charge 1.10 a ltr for it!!!!

dont take my advice - keep upping the mixture and then see if it starts chugging - if it does then add a bit more detail!!

MJ
1995 3.1 DUTY SWB
Hobbynut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 15:16    Post subject: Worth A Look At THis Reply with quote

Having been considering veggy oil, I now have my doubts after reading this article
http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/vegetable.asp

Cheers
Hobbynut

It wasn't me...The big lads did it and ran away
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: