Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

unidentified leak

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazybones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 18:40    Post subject: unidentified leak Reply with quote

hi all im hoping someone can shed a bit of light on my problem or at least make things a little easier for me im losing water/coolant from somewhere and cant see where i noticed it the other day well not the leak i just happened to be doing an oil & filter change and when finished shut the bonnet and noticed a bit of a bar/bent like an L about 4/6 inches long laying on the floor now i have had a few probs with the little fuxks around ere and first thought was the little bastarxs have rammed it into the radiator but couldnt really see any damage checked my coolant level and low and behold empty but no puddle on floor so maybe thought it was me couldnt remember at the time the last time i checked her for fluid but now i know maybe just over a month was the last time i checked it when i done the missus car so anyhow i filled it up and bled it through no leak what so ever done a few 30 mile round trips and kept checking the temp and coolant level with no change the temp level never rises above halfway which is normal but today i left my motor at home and used the missus car as cheap on fuel and the missus drove mine shopping and back when i got back i noticed a steady drip and a puddle coming from mine well i have looked and to be honest i cant see where its coming from plus it was getting dark im not going to get a chance to have a look at it till friday so i was hoping some of u lot can give me any pointers as what to look for or is there any little knacks to pinpoint where its coming from just one more thing it may have been me but i thought the last time i drove her the heat from the heater didnt seem as warm as usual ? i was thinking maybe food couloring in the water when i top her up to see if that would help me pinpoint the leak or is this a stupid idea
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 18:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

lazybones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 20:26    Post subject: problem sorted for tonight Reply with quote

well sorted the problem for tonight, a few buds and some loud music not a drinking man but my *beep* has driven me to it, at least    after a couple beers things dont seem to bad
DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you have to work on the car the next day with a banging headache, Believe me iv'e done it. I seem to go for the beer bottle every time something goes wrong with mine, why i don't know because the last time my beer bill was more than it cost to repair the bloomin car Embarassed  Embarassed

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check your water pump seal if you can't find anything else leaking.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
lazybones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 21:59    Post subject: leaking Reply with quote

cheers for the reply Dylan im leaking more than the motor now and yep im gonna have a headache in the morn i can feel it coming already well i been doing some more reading as always i read what i can find out before posting i suppose ill find out when i get a better look u never know it just might be a leaking pipe just lol i like that word i doubt it though
dxmedia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine will loose about a pint over say a month or 6 weeks - I've put it down to the seal on the pressure cap on the rad being a little perished.

If you've got a black light (UV bulb) stick some uv dye in the water, and you'll soon find where it's leaking from. Or pay a huge amount for the automotive kit which is err a uv light and some dye Very HappyVery Happy

01553 845 945
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

These will do it...

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=DP28054

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=DP28573

Wink
REMF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the aircon is it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, mine looses the same amount of water as well. it was not untill i removed the fan cowling that i discovered the leak.     plastick radiators Evil or Very Mad  it is leeking on the seam at the bottom of the radiator:shock:  this is common so i hear
lazybones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 19:04    Post subject: update 2 Reply with quote

right i have flushed the radiator and cooling system then tested the thermostat which is fine put all back together there is no leak from any hoses that i can see i have checked the oil for water and all is fine there thank god, its dark again now so will have to wait untill morning but its still leaking a steady drip  even when turned off and it seems to be coming from centre of fan which i believe also holds the water pump but i dont know where to go from here, is it poss that i have a crack in the pump or a seal gone where the pump is/ is there a seal where the water pump is ? or anything that can cause a leak from this point i see the fan is attached to the timing belt and was wondering if this has to come off and if so is it something i may be able to do myself never touched a timing belt before but aint afraid to try anything myself as long as i can be guided through it or is this gonna cost me a small fortune, by the way its a 3.1 with intercooler if thats any help and the thermostat sits roughly above the centre of fan
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like the water pump seals have gone and it isnt driven by the timing belt  Shocked
The timing belt is hidden behind the plastic covers, new pump is £40 from milner and its the same one as the 2.8 if you want to try a breakers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 19:39    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

cheers for the quick reply marky much appreciated do you think may be i could do this myself,the reason i said timing belt  is i have three belts on this, two are exactly the same and do the same thing and dont need to be touched and the third is slightly lower and is attached to the fan  if that makes sense, u say the 2.8 fits it is there anything else that fits as every time i go near a breakers there never any Isuzu's maybe a frontera  if im lucky what your saying about the seals sounds spot on as every now and then over the last week there was no leak and same today no leak for 5 or ten minutes and the started again as if maybe a bit of sludge/*beep* blocked it temporarily  but since i have flushed it its a steady drip as nothing in there to block it but ill settle quite happily for a buggered pump as when i explained this to me father he went white and told me to check the oil for water and the color finally came back to his face when i told him all was alright with the oil, hes getting on a bit and hasnt been near a motor for some time or he would give me a hand, mind you seeing him turn white made me feel sick for a few minutes thinking thats it game over! new motor needed
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the engines thread for the MK1 engine manual (same block) meanwhile i'll take a piccy of mine to show you (no fan on mine)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piccy
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/markymoan/IMAG0011-3.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 21:05    Post subject: okay Reply with quote

cheers for the piccy mark, right thats the same except i have 3 belts instead of 2 i have just been doing some reading up and trying to get my head round this if im to attempt this, first i would have to remove radiator then fan then am i right in thinking i would have to slacken off the adjust bolt which is on the ac generator and then take off the fan pulley belt  but leave the two other belts (ac compressor and ps pump drive belts) then remove i think 4 bolts and remove fan assembley to get to the water pump does this sound right if so do i need to mark any of these belts so they can be put back in exactly the same spot or doesnt that matter as long as i get the tension right when i put everything back together again sorry to be a pain in the ass i dont want to make it any worse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: